• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Gorman

Jason Gorman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

I need to clean the bearings in my Flyer Gimbal (original model), and before I do I was hoping to get any tips or other peoples experiences (cautionary tales) with cleaning their Flyers before I take it apart.

Thanks in advance

#2 Jason Gorman

Jason Gorman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

So I took apart the sled, removed the gimbal, romved the handle and then the yoke and now I have a black ring containing the bearings. My question is; is this as far as i need to go? Is this "ring" the bearings or do i need to actually remove them from the housing??

Thanks

#3 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Jason,

If it was me I'd call or email Michael Craigs at Tiffen/Steadicam. The gimbal is such a critical part I wouldn't mess with it without at least some advice from the source.

Good luck and please report what you find out.

So I took apart the sled, removed the gimbal, romved the handle and then the yoke and now I have a black ring containing the bearings. My question is; is this as far as i need to go? Is this "ring" the bearings or do i need to actually remove them from the housing??

Thanks

#4 Jason Gorman

Jason Gorman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

Jason,

If it was me I'd call or email Michael Craigs at Tiffen/Steadicam. The gimbal is such a critical part I wouldn't mess with it without at least some advice from the source.

Good luck and please report what you find out.

Thanks

To make a long story short, I got the bearings out but damaged one racer on the way back in........secondly I removed the yoke from the gimbal (in retrospect it didn't need to be done) and putting it back together was awful, and left me with a couple extra washers. I was told how to clean the bearings from a very credible source however this person has infinitely more experience than I and being the beginner that I still am should have listened to my gut and left well enough alone. Needless to say I will contacting Michael tomorrow to see about servicing (I hope my insurance will cover it), in the meantime she is back together and well be Flying on a job in the morning, can't wait to see how it goes.....then again I can :huh:

Oh well, I hope some one else In my situation reads this post and it gives them pause

Teradek

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

BOXX