2 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hey Guys,

I did a search but only found partial response to my situation. I’m filling out the insurance paperwork for Walter P. Dolle.

How do you assess the “replacement value” of obsolete gear? I have a Steadicam efp/pro/mkv sled that is completely modified, and a 3A arm.

Do you have Liability insurance as well?

Is the rental insurance to cover my gear if I rent it out or is it to cover gear that I rent?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

If all of your gear was destroyed today, what would it cost to get up and running with the same capabilities tomorrow? That's replacement value. Do NOT sell your self short here. In the event of a worst case scenario, that's your livelihood! Without looking at my policy, I do recall that I can insure up to X amount of gear that I rent from somewhere else. Which is good, cause anyone I rent from should be asking for insurance! That should be what your rental insurance is talking about. Liability is never a bad idea either. Most of the time you use your gear you will be on set where production is covering you, gear and liability. But what if they contest it? What if you're practicing in the park? Cover your bases, Murphy lurks around every corner.

Brian |-)~

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hey Guys,

I did a search but only found partial response to my situation. I’m filling out the insurance paperwork for Walter P. Dolle.

How do you assess the “replacement value” of obsolete gear? I have a Steadicam efp/pro/mkv sled that is completely modified, and a 3A arm.

Do you have Liability insurance as well?

Is the rental insurance to cover my gear if I rent it out or is it to cover gear that I rent?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Replacement value is the cost of a new one. Say your monitor is destroyed, Replacement value is the cost of a NEW one. The cost of your sled is the cost of a New PRO/XCS/Tiffen rig, Arm is a G70 or PRO arm.

The Rental insurance is to cover the cost of the gear you need to rent until your gear is repaired or replaced.

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams