6 replies to this topic

#1 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

I own the first version of the TIFFEN Ultrabright, the one that has the Y/Pb/Pr and NOT the HDSDI. I while ago I noticed that there is a slight (1 percent perhaps) image cutoff on each side of the picture. I can scroll the image left or right to reveal the missing part but that only hides more on the other side. The monitor doesn't have a zoom out, only zoom IN function, so there is no way to have the entire picture on the monitor at once. Of course with a film camera image the frame-lines are well within the edges of the picture so it's not a concern but with the HD image (down-converted) every thing the camera sees is making it to tape.

I recently finally had some downtime and had the monitor checked by TIFFEN and they couldn't find the problem (curious I must say, seeing as they built it!!) Have any other owners of the UltraBright seen this and if so is there a cure?

Cheers,

IAIN

#2 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

I had a few problems that were solved other than the HD Component issue from only the F900 at 23.98 fps. I did have a backlight go out. Thats about it.

#3 Thomas Schnaidt

Thomas Schnaidt

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

yes, I too have had this problem with my version one monitor. Funny, I was at tiffen today getting my monitor looked at for a problem that happened while I was trying to fix my clipping problem from the genesis. It must have been you they were talking about when they said that someone else had the same issue.

Did you say that you have had the problem on all HD camera's?

I am not sure how to fix it either. Other problem becomes that if you use your framline generator, you are actually masking that much more of the area off. But You really do need to use it Because if the frame is dark along the edges or at the top or bottom you arent really sure where your frame ends and where its just dark monitor.

I am using the UltraBright 2 while mine is repaired and found that there was still a little bit of an issue when I took signal off the Panavision Box with some toggles set wrong (my DIT fixed it and I didnt really have the time to pay attention to what he did). Also it was fixed by coming out of the HDSDI port on the dumb side power panel. In the end, its all good coming out of that port, into my Decimator, into my sled video distro (on topstage) and going into the Composite channel of the UB2. I hope that it works that well when I get my monitor back.

I will try to pay attention better Iain when I get back to work, and will try to report back once I have my monitor back and can compare. I would like to say that Frank and Michael Craigs over at Tiffen were stellar today in helping me get my prep done so I can start my job on Monday. Thanks and big kudos to their support.

Best,
Tom Schnaidt

#4 Steve Fracol SOC

Steve Fracol SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts
  • Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:30 AM

Just an FYI...

On the UB2 monitor via the menu there is an "UNDERSCAN" mode that allow you to see the picture full-raster. That should cure your image "edge" loss and the frame line issue. Then if you need to move it around a few deg. you can do it easily via the manual sizing mode. I can go through the actual menu on Monday and report back as to exactly what page to find the UNDERSCAN mode but it is very easy if you just look for it. HA HA...that said I overlooked it the first time as well.

My U2 has been very, very solid. An excellent sled in my opinion.

I am somewhat happy with the monitor but still on the lookout for this new OLED technology...but most important to me is an on screen level that works with ANY SLED with an HDSDI signal. I wish Bubb's level would work with HD. Then I would LOVE my monitor as well. Because it does not work with HDSDI overlay level I tend to use my monitor in NTSC mode. It is a bit of a bummer...So far the only one I know of doing this is the Transvideo system.

I agree that Michael, Dan, Robert, Peter and Frank have bent over backwards for me with customer service. I can't say enough good about them. Keep it up Tiffen!

My .02

Steve Fracol

#5 Thomas Schnaidt

Thomas Schnaidt

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Steve, Are you at all familiar with UB1? I have had mine for years, and been pretty pleased with it. Though the UB2 really embarasses the UB1 by being a much more comprehensive HD unit. I forgot that when I started using the ub2 on Friday that part of my solution was underscan as well. The UB1 doesnt have this feature, does it? I am pretty familiar with its vast (much more than the ub2) menus, but thats not one I recall.

The U2 sled is pretty remarkable. Congrats on that.

best,

tom

#6 Steve Fracol SOC

Steve Fracol SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts
  • Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

The UB1 doesnt have this feature, does it?

Correct... it does not have a specific menu that does it. You can go through the scaling menu and shrink the image to the minimum size on the UB1 to see it full raster. As I am trying to remember... it depends on the signal sent to it. It always seemed to come up fine with a film camera's video tap but not so good when sending it a down-converted signal from an HD camera or from something like a BetaCam. It seems that the full 1:78 image from most modern cameras was missing a few lines in the NTSC world when looking at the 16x9 letterbox feed on the 4x3 monitor (specifically on the sides).

The best way to see what your monitor is actually seeing is by shooting a REAL framing chart.

Steve

#7 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Unfortunately the UB1 does not have the Underscan feature or it would be a simple fix. I've noticed the problem on both the F35 and the Genesis, I have used the monitor with a F900 as well but wasn't aware of the problem at the time so didn't go looking for it. Next time I'm at Panavision I'll try and get a few different cameras to compare.

Teradek

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications