8 replies to this topic

#1 Damian Watson

Damian Watson

• Sustaining Members
  • 2 posts
  • Wakefield, England

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi
As anyone every had any issues with there M1 motor, a friend and I have to just bought a second hand unit. It looks as though it as never been used and the guy we bought it off says it was is backup unit and that it was never used hence the reason for selling it. But I've fired it up as a test, just on a standard video lens ie a j15, and I have two issues, one is that it seems very noisy and the second is that it seems a bit grindy(if this makes sense), I think they are both related and probably that it needs greasing or something.

But was wondering if anyone else had these issues and how were they resolved.

Thanks in advance

Damo

#2 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi there,

the M-One is a very powerful motor. It has a lot of torque. So when they are used on lenses that aren't very heavy, they are noisy.

LE

#3 Richard James Lewis

Richard James Lewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • London, UK

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Like Lars says, It's the nature of the beast...

Rick.

Hi there,

the M-One is a very powerful motor. It has a lot of torque. So when they are used on lenses that aren't very heavy, they are noisy.

LE

#4 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

Like Lars says, It's the nature of the beast...

Rick.

Hi there,

LE

Hi Gentlemen.
I spoke to Don Wetzle about the noisy issue. He explained that the worm gear is brass and the drive gear is steel and it takes a little wear to quiet the motor. I have 3 M1's and a .5 and they do quiet down over time and use.

Ramon

#5 Dana Morris

Dana Morris

• Sustaining Members
  • 14 posts
  • Long Beach

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Just takes time to break it in. Once you give it some time and break it in it will quiet down. Its a very good motor. You will be very happy with it.

Dana

(just a newbie but from what I can tell, its great and mine is very quiet)

#6 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

I may be proven wrong here, but I think Jim sells a cable with a step-down converter built into it, to reduce power sent to the M1 = less noise. I don't know if this is something that will only work with the Bartech, or in combination with other focus systems.

#7 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

I may be proven wrong here, but I think Jim sells a cable with a step-down converter built into it, to reduce power sent to the M1 = less noise. I don't know if this is something that will only work with the Bartech, or in combination with other focus systems.

Hmm...interesting. Anybody know if this is correct? And if so, how well it works in the field?

LE

#8 Damian Watson

Damian Watson

• Sustaining Members
  • 2 posts
  • Wakefield, England

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Thank you very much indeed gents, your advice as been very useful and hopefully with time the motor will become less noisy.
I will try to keep you informed.

Thanks again

Damo

#9 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 496 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

You can buy such a cable from either Don or me. Paradoxically, although it does reduce the motor speed/power/noise, it places a greater load on the driver. Most other systems that can drive an M-One do not have the extra power required.

Jim "power to spare" Bartell

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams