#1 G. Grammatikos

G. Grammatikos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Greece

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hi Guys ,i have a v2 gimbal and when i pan my rig 180 i am little out of balance ,prodably my gimbal is not center (4 years old),can i fix it here or i must send it to mk-v??

#2 Josip Pavelic

Josip Pavelic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

Can you be more specific please, how do you mean "I'm out of balance"? Do you mean the whole rig is out of balance when you have massive pan? Well this can be cause of common incorrect dynamic balance setting (monitor/battery distance from centerpost CG with interaction of camera CG). The gimbal by itself can't be off the center,it may be dirty or weared out..

Take care,
Josip

#3 Anders Holck Petersen

Anders Holck Petersen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

The gimbal by itself can't be off the center

It can actually...That is what makes a great gimbal hard to design. All axis need to collide at the same point, and the Pan bearing neends to rotate around the exact centerpoint of the post.

Also in the long run, everything needs to stay in place.

Imaging how a gimbal like this would perform. First imagine you are trimmed and then pan 90° and let it rest.
Posted Image

#4 Josip Pavelic

Josip Pavelic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi Anders,

Did you mean by that the gimbal can be off the center something like it is possible to produce poorly centered/precision gimbal, or that the first rate gimbal like MK-V gimbal is theoretically prone to go off the axis with some time of heavy use or something?
Yes, the distorted axis gimbal presented by your drawing would be definetly the worst nightmare for any operator do deal with, I guess even with minimal deviations..

Josip

#5 Jason Tan

Jason Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

I just adjusted mine. It can pretty easy to adjust depending on which axis is off. Here is a diagram if it's the x-axis, it's a very simple adjustment.

Attached File  gimbal_adjustment.JPG   46.43KB   267 downloads

#6 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

As far as I can tell what you have described here will do nothing to change the x-axis. I own a V2 gimbal and those two bolts are for adjusting the play in the yoke bearing. The x-axis is determined by how perfectly the ring is centered in between the yoke arms, not by the extension of the yoke.

#7 Jason Tan

Jason Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

In my experience, play in the yoke bearing is often the source of misalignment along the x-axis. On my gimbal the tolerance is so tight on the yoke arms that there's no possibility or need for adjustment there. I don't know whether the yoke bearing was designed to be asymmetrical (probably not) or if it's just the result of wear and tear but it does work for me, because even a few thousands of a mm at that location has a dramatic effect.

It's possible this is specific to my gimbal, but it's a simple thing to try if anyone is having issues.

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery