1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

It looks like I'll be dipping my toes into the Florida pond pretty soon here. If you've seen my post about Steadicam in NASCAR, you know that I've developed some contacts in the Daytona Beach area (NASCAR and the SpeedChannel). The purpose of this post is to see what you guys think of the market down there as compared to Michigan, because I know there are some accomplished Floridian Operators down there.

I've always wanted to break into the Film market, but have the majority of my experience in Live TV, Episodic TV, and Sports. What is the Florida market like for any of these areas, and where do you find the concentration of the jobs to be located (my guess is Miami)? Any tips, pointers, recommendations about my move would be appreciated!

Edited by Mike Germond, 08 April 2009 - 12:11 PM.

#2 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

It looks like I'll be dipping my toes into the Florida pond pretty soon here. If you've seen my post about Steadicam in NASCAR, you know that I've developed some contacts in the Daytona Beach area (NASCAR and the SpeedChannel). The purpose of this post is to see what you guys think of the market down there as compared to Michigan, because I know there are some accomplished Floridian Operators down there.

I've always wanted to break into the Film market, but have the majority of my experience in Live TV, Episodic TV, and Sports. What is the Florida market like for any of these areas, and where do you find the concentration of the jobs to be located (my guess is Miami)? Any tips, pointers, recommendations about my move would be appreciated!

Miami and Orlando are the two main spots (though there is a Tampa market as well). You will probably find it much like Michigan only bigger. We have a commercial season (winter) and pilot season is just like in LA except we get one or two. Features come at all times of the year and we go anywhere from 2 to 10 per year (various budgeds from super low to big boys). Right now we have one TV series (Burn Notice). Music videos come all year long and are no different than they are in NY and LA.

We have 6 steadicam operators in Miami, 2 of which work almost totally in LA. 2 do mostly commercials and music videos and the other 2 do the TV and features.

The housing market in Florida is fantastic at the moment (I'd buy ten houses if I had the cash).

my e-mail is: mcgowanpro@aol.com Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

mm.

BOXX

Teradek

IDX

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS