• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Graham

Michael Graham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hello I'm looking to get the Steadicam Pilot as my first rig to own. I was wondering because it only holds 10 pounds is there away that i can get another arm that holds more weight to use for the pilot. I work on alot of projects that the clients use the light weight cameras but they also use the redrock lens adapter so it will go over the limit. Now I don't have the budget to get a bigger rig. So that is why i'm asking if i could upgrade the arm or even get strong springs to fix that problem?

I'm sorry if I don't know what i'm talking about. as far as I don't know if it is the sled that holds only 10 pounds or the arm or the vest or all 3. But if someone can help me that would be great.

Thanks and have a great day
Mike G

#2 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Not recommended, you will overload the gimbal and other components. I would look for a second hand Flyer.

#3 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

I work on alot of projects that the clients use the light weight cameras but they also use the redrock lens adapter

I think the advice above is absolutely correct about not just the springs but the whole mechanism not being built to stand the forces involved in heavier cameras

You could just spend more on a bigger rig , or hire as required (if they will fund it) I think the skillset learned practicing with a pilot will upscale nicely

Have you considered the lack of 'affordable' focus solution with an adapter which could make the whole scheme a non starter

I have a letus and ex1 and initial experiments show that it 'might' fly if If got rid of the rails and made a super light weight device to support the lens - Im not that bothered about moving forward with that project because I dont think the look is a worthy exchange for the loss of AF and DOF

You could also get/hire a canon 5d2 if they are obsessed with the 35FF look - light enough to add a focus solution - of course that camera is riddled with other conundrums like 30FPS only and inconsistent exposure

The upcoming Pana GH1 has 24p, AF and a near RED size chip, and weighs the same as a bar of chocolate

I think these DSLRs mean that the adapter is on the way out - so buying a rig for the odd adapter shot is a poor plan IMO

S

#4 Michael Graham

Michael Graham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Ok so can any of you tell me a good rig to get I can go up to about 8 thousand. to buy a rig.

#5 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

Ok so can any of you tell me a good rig to get I can go up to about 8 thousand. to buy a rig.

Pilot ?

But are you going to need a focus solution ?

S

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Hello I'm looking to get the Steadicam Pilot as my first rig to own. I was wondering because it only holds 10 pounds is there away that i can get another arm that holds more weight to use for the pilot. I work on alot of projects that the clients use the light weight cameras but they also use the redrock lens adapter so it will go over the limit. Now I don't have the budget to get a bigger rig. So that is why i'm asking if i could upgrade the arm or even get strong springs to fix that problem?

I'm sorry if I don't know what i'm talking about. as far as I don't know if it is the sled that holds only 10 pounds or the arm or the vest or all 3. But if someone can help me that would be great.

Thanks and have a great day
Mike G

It's not just the arm's lift capacity. It's the gimbals capacity but more importantly it's the Center post, Top Stage, post length and lower section weight. It's an integrated system

#7 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hi Michael

The Flyer LE is less than USD 8,000.00.

Robin

#8 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

Hello I'm looking to get the Steadicam Pilot as my first rig to own... I work on alot of projects that the clients use the light weight cameras but they also use the redrock lens adapter so it will go over the limit.

The Steadicam Flyer is around $8000 with batteries, and will fly most popular cameras with lens adapters.

The Steadicam Pilot is around $4000 with batteries, but won't really fly a lens adapter.

But that's not even half the story.

If you want to fly a lens adapter, 16mm film camera, RED One, or any camera solution with a shallow depth of field, then you'll need a way to control focus dynamically. Professional steadicam operators use a wireless follow focus system for this. These cost $4000 and up. You can buy cheaper ones, but all the reviews I've heard say that the cheaper ones don't work very well.

Assuming you can buy or rent a good wireless follow focus system, the next question is: Who will run it? A professional camera assistant can eyeball focal distance dynamically within a few inches. This is not something they learn overnight. If you have an inexperienced focus puller, then you will need a wireless video assist system. Even if you have a professional focus puller, many prefer to use video assist anyway. Standard def systems are OK for a director or DP, but for judging critical focus, an HD wireless video assist solution is pretty much required. HD wireless video solutions cost $5000 and up.

Note that these kinds of expensive accessories, and others, are all part of a typical professional steadicam operators rig. This is one of the reasons professional steadicam ops can spend up to $100,000 or more on their equipment, and why they charge up to $400 per hour.

Now I'm going to say something that sounds like heresy. What if you used the lens adapter on sticks, but removed the lens adapter for steadicam shots? Other people have had decent results with this. For the kind of productions that would usually use a lens adapter, and not rent a RED or film camera or hire an experienced AC, I believe this may be the best solution. A good DP can do a lot with lighting and frame composition to give steadicam shots good visual depth, and allow it to be cut fairly well with shallow DOF shots on sticks. Here's a thread that discusses this possibility:
http://www.dvinfo.ne...of-adapter.html

In any case, it helps to understand this: As soon as you put a camera with shallow DOF on a steadicam, you're entering a whole different league of production issues.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dave Gish, 03 April 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#9 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

In my post above I meant Flyer - sorry

----

Once you are shooting adapter on sticks and no adapter on the rig you are going to have a mighty long swap over time - Id rent or buy a second camera rather than do that..

S

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

PLC - Bartech

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

Omnishot Systems

Teradek