#1 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

Im posting this in the newb area because I consider the Pilot a 'newb rig

Firstly is there a manufacurer of some kind of hard mount - maybe for attaching to a wheelchair/golf cart

would it be insane to use regular lighting grip

Secondly Im 6'5 tall and am finding rarely need to boom up but often am looking to boom right down - I find it very hard to be stable while holding down

(my ex1 + sanken + small battery is rigged to be about three inches above the gimbal - i could change this but not so easily without making other compromises)

Is there a manufacturer of a (I dont know the correct term) 'J thingy' to lower the camera height relative to the arm - does this affect operating

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

Yes, you can rig it to any device that you would use to carry a Steadicam, like a golf cart.

The exact mounting details can be discussed in Vehicles section but to make the mount, here is what I did.

1) buy an extra socket block, $50 or less.

2) attach it to a sturdy piece of metal. (Bending it makes it less strong and is expensive so leave it straight.)

3) drill holes that correspond to 1" (or whatever size mounting stuff you use) U-bolts.

J-Bracket extension, find a local machinist and work with him/her to make what you want. Lots of operators have longer brackets made for this reason and many others.

#3 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thanks - not bonkers plans then

Im slightly worried about my non gimbal hand getting dis isolated from the arm by touching it if the J is note carefully designed

Ill see the cost of a seperate mounting block - or while im at the machinist...

do you have a Pilot or larger rig?

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech