6 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Szklarski

Tomas Szklarski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody has come up with a good solution to legs falling asleep with the Walter Klassen Vest? Ever since a couple years ago when I lost all feeling in my leg and fell over, I haven't really come up with a good solution. I still have the fears and it has come close again on a few occasions. It's seems to be a hit and miss, some days I am okay and others I just have all kinds of issues with my leg "falling asleep" I am having some health issues in that I have trouble keeping weight on, so I am skinnier than when I got the vest fitted. is there some kind of padding that I can add to make myself fatter that won't hamper operating of the vest fitting?
Thanks

#2 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody has come up with a good solution to legs falling asleep with the Walter Klassen Vest? Ever since a couple years ago when I lost all feeling in my leg and fell over, I haven't really come up with a good solution. I still have the fears and it has come close again on a few occasions. It's seems to be a hit and miss, some days I am okay and others I just have all kinds of issues with my leg "falling asleep" I am having some health issues in that I have trouble keeping weight on, so I am skinnier than when I got the vest fitted. is there some kind of padding that I can add to make myself fatter that won't hamper operating of the vest fitting?
Thanks

Tom contact Walter. He can asses your sitch and send you the appropriate padding. I had some issues that he resolved with extra padding as well.
On occassion my leg falls asleep. Usually when I'm locked off.

Ramon

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I've had the numbness happen to me twice in the 8 yrs I've been using a bm vest. Both times were on hd shoots where they don't cut and just reset to the beginning of along take over and over. It's always cool when a 2 minute shot with a 1 minute lock-off at the end becomes an 8 to 10 minute marathon.
rb

#4 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Check these threads as well:

http://www.steadicam...?showtopic=6810

http://www.steadicam...?showtopic=1303

#5 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Thomas, you probably have the same experience that I have had: I also lost weight and the thinner fat-tissue on your hips and legs make the nerves more vulnerable for pressure damage.

I have had my harness updated to the double hinged version , with all new foam padding and although i haven't had a good job yet to test it, i could feel a big difference.
Because of the double sided adjustment I can now release the tension on the lower part, while keeping enough clamping force in the lower belly region.

So please contact Walter for an upgrade.

Best wishes,
Rob

#6 Tomas Szklarski

Tomas Szklarski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

thanks for all the info guys!!! Walter and I have talked and he is sending me some padded inserts that we are gonna try and see if it makes the vest a little tighter since I think the vest is creepin down after long takes. So we'll see how that goes!

-Tom

#7 Daniel Pille

Daniel Pille

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 31 posts
  • Cologne

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

thanks for all the info guys!!! Walter and I have talked and he is sending me some padded inserts that we are gonna try and see if it makes the vest a little tighter since I think the vest is creepin down after long takes. So we'll see how that goes!

-Tom

Hi Tom,
I own a BM too and i know what you mean that your legs falling asleep! But i have felt it onley one Time at a Job and that was my first Job with the BM and i think i have wear it too tight like the FM!! But from ther on i have lossen it a little bit and a bigger foam and i have no problems till yet! I have done a 2 times 4 ours studioshow for 2 days and no problem with my legs falling aslepp or anything else like pain in the back! Normaly when i operate as a Cameraman i have alway pain in the back..but as a steadicam operator and espacially with the BM i feel no bad pain. Of course tired feets and legs but no kind of unhealthy pain;-) So i am glad to use Walters BM Vest!!
Hope that helps with your extra foampadds;-)
Best from Cologne
Daniel

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications