11 replies to this topic

#1 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Is anyone using this particular system? How does it handle? Been looking for a setup using this mod but have not been lucky. I see Bar-bel has a similar base module but is there any major integrable differences?

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I think Alec Jarnagan had this base for a while.

#3 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thanks. Any feedback from you Alec?

#4 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

Does anyone have this setup and is quite satisfied with it?

#5 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

Charles,

Somewhere on my office computer is my original review. It is on my to-do list to find it and post it here for you along with any additional thoughts. I'll get to it as soon as I can. Sorry for the delay. In a nutshell though, it is a great base.

Cheers,

Alec

#6 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Alec. Much appreciated.

#7 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Charles,

Ok, here is my original review (Circa 2000) for the Jerry Rig minus the last paragraph because it was full of woefully outdated material that has nothing to do with the base itself.....

For those of you in the market to upgrade/ piece together a sled, you may want to a look at Jerry Hill’s web site, as Jerry has just announced that he is selling a “battery cage” of his own.

For the record, I have no official affiliation with Jerry nor do a profit from his sales. On that note, I have been flying one of his “Jerry Rigs” for the last two months or so. Last winter, while having Jim Bartell do a few modifications to my previous custom sled (Pro post, D-box, TB-6 monitor, 2 Anton Bauer batteries housed in my old 3a casing, etc), I discovered he was designing the wiring schematics for a sled for Jerry. After many conversations with Jerry, I asked him to build me one, as I felt his angle of attack was more efficient than my own. In short, Jerry has designed a very flexible lightweight 1 or 2 battery 12/24Volt battery housing that accommodates any of the Anton Bauer batteries. By offering a full 8 inches of battery travel on a worm gear via a trim knob or a coarse adjustment, the balance possibilities are endless. I recently did a live multi camera show where the camera was powered via Triax (well, BNC to Triax) and therefore I was able to power my sled off of one Trimpac battery! Minus the onboard deck, the sled was amazingly light. The flipside is that I can throw two batteries on, onboard deck, trim the whole thing, and fly much heavier cameras.

Other features include a built in video distribution amplifier that guarantees proper video signal strength on all outputs. On that note, there is an abundance of connectors on the unit that allow for onboard decks, transmitters, etc. One of the greatest features of all is the built in ICBM (Jim Bartell’s battery meter). The LCD can be seen by the operator while operating! This is key for me, as I have always felt this should be incorporated into every sled. On that note, one minor inconvenience, is that the housing is only big enough to incorporate one “built in” ICBM. This meter reads the back battery only (this is the battery that runs the sled – and of course part of the camera for 24 Volts and the entire camera when running with only one battery). While the front battery rarely needs to be changed when compared to the back one, I still felt it necessary to have a battery meter for it so I had a second ICBM attached before I ever set out to use it. This is not a problem, as this external meter Velcro’s nicely to the top of the sled (I removed Jerry’s neat little duel level to achieve this, but since I have a level on the monitor and D-box, I don’t miss it). I would add that this second meter could live on the “back shelf” just as easily, but I carry an onboard deck so I had no room there.

-------------------

The only thing I'd add now is that it me served very well for the entire time I owned it. I sold the base a year or so ago because I ended up with a PRO 2 base as well along the way and started favoring that with Dionic batteries. I did end up modifying the PRO 2 base to include battery meters and a VDA though because I missed those things (both mods were done by David Hable). I'd say Charles if you are modifying your EFP and have a stack of batteries then the Jerry base is a good choice.

Cheers,

#8 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

Much appreciated for this little review. It would be nice to see some upclose pics of it. Thanks again Alec.

#9 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Is anyone using this particular system? How does it handle? Been looking for a setup using this mod but have not been lucky. I see Bar-bel has a similar base module but is there any major integrable differences?

Hey Charles,
I'm pretty sure Dave Eastwood has two of them and has been using them for years.

#10 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

Charles, I still have the photos from when I was selling mine:

Attached Files

#11 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

A few more...

Attached Files

#12 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Alec you are a kindred spirit. Thank you so very much for the pics. They are awesome. Now i have am idea of what to expect.

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX