• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eirik Pettersen

Eirik Pettersen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hi! This is my first post, happy to finally be a member of this forum :)

Ive been wanting to get in to steadicam for a few years now, and i think its still a year until its going to happen (its expencive, heh) but im trying to find out which rig to choose? Ive read people say to start on the lighter rigs, fly lightweight cameras before buying the more expencive rigs like the Archer that can take heavier cameras. But then im afraid i wont get any clients, because my rig wont take the weight?

Ive tried the Archer and other rigs and feel like the Flyer is too small, it doesnt feel like it can deliver in the same way.. or maybe that i wont be able to deliver as good shots with it?

So what is more important? more training with a lighter rig, or larger range in camera weight and therfore more potential clients? And if its a question of money, is the Archer a good start or are there other rigs i should concider?

I hope some of you can share some wisdom :) i know which rig i would want to buy, but im not sure if its the right one to start off with.

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

Eirik,

Please, please, please take a workshop. After the workshop, take a few weeks/months and take a breath form Steadicam. Then, you'll know what to do.

#3 Eirik Pettersen

Eirik Pettersen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:29 AM

yeah, a workshop is definetly something i have to do and ive been in contact with the nearest dealer in sweeden, so its just a matter of time :) in the meantime ill just read all the books ive ordered and watch that good old efp training dvd.

Ive done some assisting the last few years, is that a good way to become an operator? or do most people just start off as operators?

#4 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:49 AM

Hi! This is my first post, happy to finally be a member of this forum :)

Ive been wanting to get in to steadicam for a few years now, and i think its still a year until its going to happen (its expencive, heh) but im trying to find out which rig to choose? Ive read people say to start on the lighter rigs, fly lightweight cameras before buying the more expencive rigs like the Archer that can take heavier cameras. But then im afraid i wont get any clients, because my rig wont take the weight?

Ive tried the Archer and other rigs and feel like the Flyer is too small, it doesnt feel like it can deliver in the same way.. or maybe that i wont be able to deliver as good shots with it?

So what is more important? more training with a lighter rig, or larger range in camera weight and therfore more potential clients? And if its a question of money, is the Archer a good start or are there other rigs i should concider?

I hope some of you can share some wisdom :) i know which rig i would want to buy, but im not sure if its the right one to start off with.

Hi Elrik. Wellcome to the forum.
Alec has given you one of the best advice that a newbie could have. TAKE A WORKSHOP!!!
I can understand your impatience and your desire of being it.
To be owner of a steadicam sistem, there are many facturers, doesn´t turn you in operator. To be owner helps you a lot, of course, but if you don´t learn the correct way to fly.... You´ll have problems with bad ways of use or handling.
A workshop is the correct step in your carreer to be steadicam op. (It´s my opinion) You must, first, to be camera operator...
Well, dude, this is my opinion....
Ride safe and learn slow...

BOXX

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions