Merlin & Hf100 (HF10)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 simon

simon
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi there.

I'm a new lucky german owner of a steadicam merlin rig. :)

I've mounted my little Canon HF100 HD-Cam on it - and.. what should i say. After much hours of testing, it's a perfect feeling. A little dream came true :)

But why I'm hanging around here is to know, if any member in here has the same setup as me. I'm not sure, if i found the perfect (i know, there is no _one_ real perfect way) mount position for me. I just wanna try some other settings.

- Steadicam Merlin
- Canon HF100 or Canon HF10.

If anybody wants to know my setup, please write me. I'm happy about any exchanges of experiences.

Thanks,
Simon

#2 Deleo

Deleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

HEllo,

are you using the merlin with the HF100 and the standard battery set ?
I'm having trouble to find the correct balance. the set up is continuously balancing even if it is very slowly ...

BEfore I saw that you've succeed I was thinking that the HF100 was too light to be perfectly balanced

do you mind sharing your set up ?
Gplate,
Front weight
bottom weight,
Z index,
ARC size (and how you mesure it)

thank you.

Hi there.

I'm a new lucky german owner of a steadicam merlin rig. :)

I've mounted my little Canon HF100 HD-Cam on it - and.. what should i say. After much hours of testing, it's a perfect feeling. A little dream came true :)

But why I'm hanging around here is to know, if any member in here has the same setup as me. I'm not sure, if i found the perfect (i know, there is no _one_ real perfect way) mount position for me. I just wanna try some other settings.

- Steadicam Merlin
- Canon HF100 or Canon HF10.

If anybody wants to know my setup, please write me. I'm happy about any exchanges of experiences.

Thanks,
Simon

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Glad both of you found the steadicam forum.

I'd like to ask you before you post any more to change your screen names to your real first and last name. It's a rule that we have around here.

Thanks and enjoy your stay

#4 Ivan Villafuerte

Ivan Villafuerte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

I own the Canon HF S100 with the WD-H58 wide converter lens attached, doubling the weight, and need settings for balancing with the steadicam merlin. Any help?

#5 Seth Howerton

Seth Howerton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

stock hfs10 with merlin setup I have had some success with

C hole mount

-2 setting on left side of stage looking from front to back

1 finish weight on front

1 start weight and 1 finish weight on bottom

arc closed completely measures approx. 8 1/2 inches perpendicularly from top of stage to middle of bottom weights

fore/aft set so that 1" of silver thread rod shows from front of trim adjuster to back of nut

left/right trim set so 3/8" of silver thread rod shows on either side of trim adjuster

hope this helps I have only tested this a few times

seems like a good starting point to me so far

seth

Edited by Seth Howerton, 25 July 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#6 Nik Kuo

Nik Kuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I just purchased the Merlin, and am trying (so far unsuccessfully) to balance my HF100, with a BP-827, the think 4-hr battery. I'm going to have to balance from scratch, weighing it, measuring it, etc.

I though I could try to balance it out by tweaking and by feel, but after a couple hours, I gave up!

I'm gonna try again tomorrow, and this time, I'll try it properly.

I'll let you all know how I do tomorrow.

Nik

C hole mount

1 finish weight on front

arc closed completely measures approx. 8 1/2 inches perpendicularly from top of stage to middle of bottom weights

fore/aft set so that 1" of silver thread rod shows from front of trim adjuster to back of nut

left/right trim set so 3/8" of silver thread rod shows on either side of trim adjuster

seth

#7 Nik Kuo

Nik Kuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Hey guys,

well, after consulting the manual, DVD, and then finally the online merlin cookbook Magic Formula plugin calculation page, I've come pretty close to balancing it.

It's not perfect, but I think that it's definitely a GREAT starting point.

I had to weigh my HF100 with the BP-827, dm-100 shotgun mic, and canon wide angle lens... everything came out to 1.7 pounds. I then had to measure from the center of the attached lens, straight down to the bottom of the camera (estimated about 1.5 inches).

I plugged those numbers into the calculation page, and it gave me a list of possibilities, for the different options of starting front weight. I chose to use the option with one front weight, because the manual said to use at least one front weight with light cameras.

Then I just followed the numbers from there, measuring out the calculated arc distance, as well as mid and finish weight for the bottom, the inch for the stage and how much the fore/aft screw was measured in inches from the front of the stage.

Even doing this, the balance was very off. But at least it got me started. Then, I carefully tweaked the fore/aft and side to side rollers, according to how my camera was tilting.

So after about an hour and a half, I got a pretty steady rig. I can move my merlin laterally, from side to side, and the camera pretty much stays centered without a whole lot of pendulum action. However, the camera still tends to want to rotate to the left, by itself, if I start it centered and then let it go.

Anyway, my advice is to get your hands dirty and measure it all out. The calculations page is invaluable and gives a wonderful starting point, on which you continue to tweak.

I hope to post a sample video of how stable my picture is. By no means am I a skilled merlin handler! I'm still learning. But maybe it'll give a little hope to anyone who hasn't yet balanced their rig.

Nik

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I just purchased the Merlin, and am trying (so far unsuccessfully) to balance my HF100, with a BP-827, the think 4-hr battery. I'm going to have to balance from scratch, weighing it, measuring it, etc.

I though I could try to balance it out by tweaking and by feel, but after a couple hours, I gave up!

I'm gonna try again tomorrow, and this time, I'll try it properly.

I'll let you all know how I do tomorrow.

Nik

C hole mount

1 finish weight on front

seth

#8 Nik Kuo

Nik Kuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

I just posted a test run that I did an hour ago. I know that I stink, but I really hope that it gets better with practice. Also, I had some slight juddering in my video... I think it may have something to do with the image stabilization feature that I forgot to turn off on my camera.

Comments and discussion are welcome! Am I the only HF100/Merlin owner here?

Nik

#9 Ivan Villafuerte

Ivan Villafuerte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Great job Nik, your patience meter runs longer than mine, I had the merlin for all of three days before surrendering to frustration and returning it.

#10 Nik Kuo

Nik Kuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hey Ivan,

The process has indeed been frustrating. The worst part about it is that half time time, I don't know if my camera is truly in balance, or if I just stink at handling the rig. If there was a way for me to know that I'm balancing the camera right, then I would be content in trying to master the flying portion.

But trying to fly an unbalanced rig would be futile. So I don't know where I stand right now!

It seems to be balanced, but it sways ever so slightly by itself.

Thanks for the comment.

Great job Nik, your patience meter runs longer than mine, I had the merlin for all of three days before surrendering to frustration and returning it.

#11 Jan Oeding

Jan Oeding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi
I have a Canon HF11 (I believe the exact same form factor than the HF10) and just posted the settings (metric) on my blog today (http://www.oeding.co...erlin-settings/).
I am hoping to get a video up soon to show the balance & drop time.
I'd be very interested in getting your settings for the camera only (no accessories) if you ever tried to balance it that way.
Cheers

#12 Nik Kuo

Nik Kuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

Hi
I have a Canon HF11 (I believe the exact same form factor than the HF10) and just posted the settings (metric) on my blog today (http://www.oeding.co...erlin-settings/).
I am hoping to get a video up soon to show the balance & drop time.
I'd be very interested in getting your settings for the camera only (no accessories) if you ever tried to balance it that way.
Cheers

Hey there, I haven't been on the site for awhile. Nice to see there are others in the same situation as myself.

I read your blog, and I agree with what you're saying. The camera does seem a little too light to get completely steady. I've tried adding accessories onto the camera to make it heavier, but it doesn't seem to help all that much.

I also tried using the cookbook spreadsheet. Let me see if I can get the specs for ya.

Nik

#13 Francois Persuy

Francois Persuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

I also own an HF100+37C Wide Converter+standard BP 809 battery
... and a Merlin since a few days.

I thought I managed to roughly balance it. I mean static balance is pretty good : the HF100 stabilizes itself horizontally, without left/right or up/down inclination.
But if I move, it starts swinging and takes many second to stabilize...

I've found several settings which give a correct static balance. And choose the one using less weights : none in front, start+finish at the bottom. I use G hole. Maybe H can be also used, setting trimming rollers differently. And also arc size. Mine is 33 cm.

I've used "Magic Formula" with 550g and vert. CG = 2,3 cm (mesuring CG putting a pen under the camera is not really accurate...)

Do other owners of HF100 have the same figures?
Can bad settings explain correct static balance and poor dynamic one? Or is there a real problem with 500 g camcorder?

Thanks for your advice. And sorry about my poor english : I'm a french user.

C hole mount

1 finish weight on front

seth

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

SkyDreams

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers