2 replies to this topic

#1 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

I'm currently working on a tv-drama, and I usually rent a Preston when I do jobs that's I consider to be "bigger" than my usual gigs. I like the BFD, but use it mostly for shorts and music videos.

Anyway, we had a lens that was being not very co-operative, so I suggested we try my BFD and M-One, since the M-One is very strong. We dug it out and calibrated, so far so good. But when we got the T/x out, the darn thing wouldn't turn on. We tried 4 different batteries, same result. The unit had been in my car for about 5 hours, it was minus 7 C outside.

So we had to stop down to F-11 and shoot the scene on fixed focus.

This morning, after the T/x had gotten back into to normal room temperature, it worked again.

Anyone experienced this before? Has the BFD any issued operating in cold weather? (minus 7 isn't that cold for Norway either, it can easily be - 20)

#2 max volokh

max volokh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • st. petersburg, russia

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

my BFD steel works well in all conditions of Russian winter, (see some photos 8-) http://www.max-volok...to-tvmovie.html
I think it could be power connection problem (did you try to power it by lemo2pin plag?

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1144 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

How old is your BFD and have you talked to Jim about it yet? If I remember correctly someone was having a problem with a BFD a while back in very cold conditions and he was able to trace it to a component that wasn't working right under a certain temperature and that he was able to fix the problem. My memory could be faulty but I would definitetly talk to him because either way I am sure he will do whatever it takes to figure out the problem.

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems