• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mattshort

mattshort

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:51 AM

What are the advantages of being a SOA member?

#2 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

Nothing, you pay the fee and list your name on the website.
That's about it. You don't even need to be an operator really, they don't ask for anything. It's not a union, a guild, or an association where you have to have been in your current job position for a period of time, and proven you are competent or anything. It's just an "association" that anyone can join to list yourself on the website.

Maybe there's something else I'm not aware of, or maybe I'm missing something, but to my knowledge the SOA is just a website that you can list your name, contact info and experience on.

#3 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

Michael it is an association, hence the name Steadicam Operators Association.

There are no questions asked because why would someone want to join if they are not an operator.

There are a couple of advantages to being a member. You get listed in the largest online database of operators worldwide. You can list your personal and professional information. People looking for operators can access this info by region. I personally have been contacted a number of times by production crews looking for an operator. I have also used the database when looking for an op in different areas of the country. You also receive emails concerning the SOA events and workshops.

Michael people like myself put a lot of time and energy into maintaining, updating and running the SOA. Since this forum is loosely connected to the SOA, you might want to think about what you say here.

Just out of curiousity if you dont think there is any advantages to being a member, why are you one?

Jay Kilroy, VP SOA

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:52 PM

Michael people like myself put a lot of time and energy into maintaining, updating and running the SOA. Since this forum is loosely connected to the SOA, you might want to think about what you say here.

What Exactly is that supposed to mean, that really sounds like some sort of threat...

#5 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

Not a threat at all. Please. I just wanted him to know that people who are involved, at all levels of running the SOA, frequent this site. There is no need to bad mouth anyone or anyones group.

I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm involved with running the SOA and I took offense to Michael's comments. There are others who are more depply involved and others that created the SOA that wouldn't appreciate the comments either. That's all, not a threat in the least bit.

#6 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

i paid the fee because i wanted to support the SOA and my love for Steadicam and also to get some good promotion for myself. :P

i have had several clients come to me for steadicam work and i have had clients approach me to do non steadicam work on productions and they were all from the soa listing. (i have also gotten work without the site as well)

i appreciate the SOA...

#7 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

Michael it is an association, hence the name Steadicam Operators Association

***Read my original post, I said it was an "association."***

There are no questions asked because why would someone want to join if they are not an operator.

***There are people who join and list themselves as Steadicam operators even before they've done one Steadicam job (not just on the SOA site either).  Just buying a Steadicam doesn't make you a Steadicam operator.  The point was that anyone can join.***

There are a couple of advantages to being a member.  You get listed in the largest online database of operators worldwide.  You can list your personal and professional information.  People looking for operators can access this info by region.  I personally have been contacted a number of times by production crews looking for an operator.  I have also used the database when looking for an op in different areas of the country. 

***Did I not say exactly that in my original response?***

You also receive emails concerning the SOA events and workshops.

***Sorry, but the only emails I've ever recieved from them is notifying me of upcoming workshops.  And, for basically every operator whose joined, that information is useless, since we've already taken a course.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but what other events has the SOA put on?***

Michael people like myself put a lot of time and energy into maintaining, updating and running the SOA.  Since this forum is loosely connected to the SOA, you might want to think about what you say here.

***Ahh, are you trying to censor peoples freedom of speech?
Yes, I am aware that the Steadicam Forum is "connected" to the SOA, but since you need not be a member of the SOA and pay the fee to join this forum, what exactly is the point.  And I'm sorry if you can't take criticism.  The original poster was asking "what is the advantages of being a member of the SOA?  The truthful and honest answer is NOTHING, other than listing your name, contact info., and resume on the website, and correct me if I'm wrong again, but did I not say that?  There is NO other "advantages."***

Just out of curiousity if you dont think there is any advantages to being a member, why are you one?

***As I said, I joined about 4 years ago to list my name, contact info. and resume on yet another site, but I also thought there was other "advantages."  And in my experience, there hasn't been.  Do I need your permission to express my experiences to others?  Sadly, you obviously think so.
I do thank you, and any others for taking your time to run the website, but I'm not going to butter up anybody or fluff up the truth.  The original poster asked a question...I answered my opinions and frankly what I've experienced as the truth.
I'm sorry you seem to think anything other than glowing remarks should be censored.  Oh, but I do thank you for keeping the site up, I do visit from time to time to update my info.  Again, my original response wasn't meant for you to take offense.***

Jay Kilroy, VP SOA

See my responses within your quote. They are enclosed with ***

#8 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

You know what you're right. I knew as I posted my original post I shouldn't even get involved. Now it is blown out of proportion (like a lot of things in this forum) with talk of censorship and what not. You did say that those were the advantages, however negatively you spun it, it is what you said. I am sorry for the confusion. I'll talk with Mike, Garrett and Jerry maybe we can get you a refund.

#9 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

So Matt to give you my response to your question. You list your info on our site hopefully you can get some references for work from our site.

Since Michael has already discussed some adavntages I'll let you know of some of the others. We can put you in touch with other operators in your area. We offer some rental equipment. We can also refer you to places or people to get other equipment. If you have any other questions Matt feel free to contact us anytime.

Sorry for wasting everyone else time with that other nonsense.

Marc thanks for your kind comments.

jay

#10 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

You know what you're right.  I knew as I posted my original post I shouldn't even get involved.  Now it is blown out of proportion (like a lot of things in this forum) with talk of censorship and what not.  You did say that those were the advantages, however negatively you spun it, it is what you said.  I am sorry for the confusion.  I'll talk with Mike, Garrett and Jerry maybe we can get you a refund.

Jay, settle down. I didn't ask for a refund, don't want one.
Man, maybe I need to word things differently, but you are the second person who thinks I was being negative in some of my responses.
I was being direct and to the point.
I even said, "Maybe there's something else I'm not aware of, or maybe I'm missing something, but to my knowledge the SOA is just a website that you can list your name, contact info and experience on."

That was inviting others to fill anything I might of been missing.
You, like the other guy, got all defense and thought I was being negative. I responded there was no real "advantages" outside of the website listing, then stated I may be missing something" then reiterated that other than that, there's no "advantages."

I guess I have to tip toe around with my wording for a few people on here that apparently take things to personally.

You know Jay, I just re-read my post several times, and honestly I can't see how you could of interpreted it as a "negative spin." If someone else posted that, I'd say, it was direct and to the point. Even informative with the "it's not a guild or union or anything" and the "you don't really even need to be an operator." This was meant to inform him that he can just join, there's no hoops to jump through either.
Sorry you took offense.

#11 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:22 PM

We can put you in touch with other operators in your area. We offer some rental equipment. We can also refer you to places or people to get other equipment.

jay

Good to know, I wasn't aware of that.
Glad you cleared that up.

#12 jay kilroy

jay kilroy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

Believe me I am not riled(sp?) in the least bit. I just wanted to let you know you offended someone(me) and maybe others. To take a page from your book, "Are you trying to censor me from speaking my mind?" Maybe you are right, this site may need a monitor, wait wouldn't that be censorship?

Those things you listed were advantages, no? And the things I listed were too, right? I think we just sent out an email about Skycam training right? By the way not sponsored by the SOA. There is a "blurb" about a workshop in Austrailia on the site, which has been mentioned in past newsletters. This also not sponsored by the SOA.

Also we don't feel that sending current ops emails about upcoming workshops a waste. Any op who has taken the workshop more than once will tell you, they either relearn or learn something new each time.

This whole thing has become ridiculus. I am sorry to say that by me posting this it has become even more ridiculus.

#13 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:26 AM

It's all good Jay.
It's not ridiculous that you responded, you felt offended and spoke your mind.

You are right in the fact having a listing on the website is an "advantage" but I guess I was looking at the question from the original poster like this, "will joining the SOA give me an advantage that I wouldn't get if I didn't." And since there is dozens of websites to list your name, contact info. and resume that are free, I didn't look at the SOA website as an "advantage" in that respect.

Again, I didn't mean to offend you, sorry you took it to heart.

#14 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

Seriously guys, Alchohol and group hugs. think about it.

#15 MichaelStewart

MichaelStewart

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:15 PM

Just to give a newbie point of view, I to took the response given by Michael as meaning that there are no advantages ( the first word to his response of the advantages was "Nothing") then came the rest of the lack of "criteria" one needed to be a member, as a new person looking in I understood/misunderstood it as meaning it was a waste of money and offered "Nothing" to the operator. Seeing Mikes later response, it is clear that it was not his intention to put it down, but I initially saw it that way. Have been getting alot of experience and soon will have a workshop, hopefully I will list my name soon in the future. Great site and helpful fellow operators! Thanks to all who contribute.

Mike

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

IDX

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS