14 replies to this topic

#1 michaellines

michaellines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi everyone

Can someone verify that the steadicam part number 802-0106 (RED POWER CABLE FOR FLYER, ARCHER, ETC) will work on a first generation flyer (the gray arm).

I can't seem to get a response from steadicam.

Also, anywhere else to buy this cable? I need it by this friday

thanks!

#2 michaellines

michaellines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

so just found out some of the customer support staff at steadicam are out sick. that explains my lack of response.

still curious if there are any other options to purchase custom cables such as this one.....

#3 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

Hey Michael,
A welcome to this nice rich board of a ocean with information about the ´steady´ business !
If you do a search for ´red cable´ you will find several topics with the answers..

I think the RED cable by TIFFEN is one with a 3 pin LEMO connector and your Flyer has a 2 pin LEMO output at the topstage. Also be aware that only
the above batteryplate is powered so when swapping batteries the RED will be power OFF !

Best, Erik

#4 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

Red?

#5 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:36 AM

Hi Michael

Erik is correct, the cable you mention will have the 3 pin Lemo of the current Flyer range and you will need the 2 pin. If you can wait the best place to get it is the factory but I am pretty sure they will have to make it as it is not a common request....................unless you know someone who can rewire one that is available.

Robin

#6 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

My suggestion is to call Terry West at South Bay Film & Video and tell him your needs and the urgency. Make sure you specify that it is the OLD Flyer with the 2-pin LEMO and not the LE which has 3-pin LEMO power. His work # is 310-374-5711

#7 michaellines

michaellines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

you guys are great. thanks for the detailed responses!!

#8 michaellines

michaellines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

the folks at steadicam (peter Abraham and others) came thru big and are getting me this cable on short notice. very good customer service experience.

#9 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the nod- the team in Glendale did a yeoman's job on this one. Glad to have been able to help you out, Michael.

It's all about the shoot. Have a terrific weekend and make good pictures !

Stand up straight !

Watch that thumb !!

Best,

Peter Abraham

#10 michaellines

michaellines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

can anyone make a recommendation for the ultimate soldering kit?

I'm looking for some tip options, great soldering iron, maybe compact to keep in the kit bag. My radio shack sodering iron just isn't really that versatile....kind of like trying to perform surgery with a backhoe or something like that.

I'm going to stock up on all the possible adapters, cable ends, lemos, xlrs, BNC etc etc

anyone have a favorite system to work with?

thanks
michael

#11 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

As far as soldering irons go get a soldering station from a reputable manufacturer like Weller. Not as compact as the cheapo from radio shack but works better.

When it comes to making cables for steadicam it takes a lot of practice, very steady hands and good eyes. It is a lot easier than it seems, especially when it comes to that damn shrink tubing. I have made a lot of cables, and if I was charging myself $50/hr it would have been cheaper to just buy them. That being said it is nice to be able to repair something or make something new in a pinch.

~Jess

#12 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Also get a desoldering pump, or iron or something of that sort and some of that brass braid for desoldering stuff. They make fixing your fups a lot easier.

~Jess

#13 Kyle Bryant

Kyle Bryant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

If you shoot on RED..... Fly the Ultra, Its the only way to go epically with a ton of RED attachments.

#14 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

"If you shoot on RED..... Fly the Ultra, Its the only way to go epically with a ton of RED attachments."

Kyle,

First, welcome to our little playground. Secondly, no offense, but may I gingerly suggest you do what so many of us did.... watch, learn, ask questions; repeat. There are bunches of rigs by various manufacturers on the market today that can handle the RED. To boldly state that the Ultra is the only way to go is simply incorrect. I do agree that the RED quickly gets far heavier than many people want to believe and that a big rig of some sorts is usually needed in real world situations. The last RED job I did we were flying some ancient Russian anamorphic lenses and a sliding base-plate, matte box, etc and it never would have fit on a Flyer.

#15 Kyle Bryant

Kyle Bryant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

"If you shoot on RED..... Fly the Ultra, Its the only way to go epically with a ton of RED attachments."

Kyle,

First, welcome to our little playground. Secondly, no offense, but may I gingerly suggest you do what so many of us did.... watch, learn, ask questions; repeat. There are bunches of rigs by various manufacturers on the market today that can handle the RED. To boldly state that the Ultra is the only way to go is simply incorrect. I do agree that the RED quickly gets far heavier than many people want to believe and that a big rig of some sorts is usually needed in real world situations. The last RED job I did we were flying some ancient Russian anamorphic lenses and a sliding base-plate, matte box, etc and it never would have fit on a Flyer.

I should have realized how bold of a statement I was making, From My experience with RED and its many attachments I found the ULTRA worked very well. Again sorry for the bold statement and I look forward to Watching, Learning, and Asking questions.

-Thanks

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies