Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Indulge me for a sec.

one of the shows i do Steadi on at CNN is called "Backstory" (the show is on facebook--become a fan). its kind of like behind the scenes of how reporters get the story. we have a pretty cool EP and Producer on the show and they are always trying to think outside the box..

ok, today CNNi launched their new set--this set is on a floor below the CNN domestic set. The anchor of "Backstory" does his show next to CNN domestic's show. today what we did was we basically had him walk from upstairs, down 2 escalators, into the CNN lobby, into the CNNi newsroom, the CNNi control room and finally the new CNNi studio. We did this all in one shot live on the air. We have a Sony HD camera and a Link wireless HD system. 2 frame delay which is pretty good. the entire walk ( i did don juan all the way down) was about 4-ish minutes. we took a couple tiny wireless hits but it all worked out well. i am surprised someone actually posted a piece of this on tube tube so i thought to mention it here. so what this video is showing is the last stop of us showing the new studio. we had to have two IFBs, two belt packs and two wireless mics since we had to basically go thru two different networks--CNN domestic and CNN International.

Edited by Marc_Abernathy, 07 February 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hey Marc,
As one of the dudes who was wondering if Steadicam is good for any use at a show like CNN .. well, this looks very nice !
Love to see you total description of the 4 minute liveshot in video. Maybe this will be posted someday,

Best, Erik

#3 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'd like to see the whole thing too. I thought everybody looked like they were winging it except for you. When the host has to break the barrier and start talking to the crew and directors, professionalism goes out the window a bit, but you looked like Da Man the whole time. That random cross chatter from the headsets was a little odd too.

Steadicam - 1
Jib Guy - 0 :lol:

#4 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

gentlemen, thank you for the replies!

yeah we winged it. the producer came up to me that day and asked if we could do that. i said of course! :-) the only thing we did a head of time was see where the mics, floor packs, and ifb's would go out since the show is aired up in CNN but that studio we ended up at was down a floor and in another section of the building and we were using two audio systems--CNN domestic and CNN international. other than that we just "winged" it.

what all happened was we did a little pre-tape of a package that was going to run while we were walking down to the new set, so when that played we were in a little tiny box walking down to the studio. i did DJ pretty much all the way because i didn't want to be behind him. a couple of shots i floated the horizon a bit because as i said it was all winged--we had security hold doors open and people stopped on the escalators because we had to go down 2 . we had folks stopped along the way.. lol

we got down there sooner than the story that was running ended so we had to slow up so i just told him to talk to someone so he did. but we got there right as that video ended and the video starts as what you see.

the reason you heard the chatter form the control room is because viewers want to hear that stuff and see what goes on behind the scenes.

i will look for the other section that proceeded it and attempt to post it.

i appreciate your replies gents! :)

#5 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

for anyone still looking...

someone was "recording" the "walk" and they cut it down to a few minutes. they used whats called a "flipcam" which is a tiny little camcorder shaped like a pack of cigarettes. so its real shaky and the resolution is low so hopefully you can atleast get an idea of the walk... we were live the entire time, save a commercial break where we had to stop and wait so as not to get down to the studio too soon.

Edited by Marc_Abernathy, 12 February 2009 - 05:26 PM.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

IDX

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems