• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steven hsieh

steven hsieh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hello, I'm only a high school student and I was wondering does most film schools teach you how operate stedicams. I'm really intrested in film. I would love to take workshop but I live a hour away.

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 921 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

There are not many film schools that teach Steadicam. Savannah College of Art and Design teaches with a Steadicam Ultra, and I know there is a school in Pennsylvania that has a couple of Steadicam Flyers, and I've heard of a couple schools with Glidecams, but I'm not sure where. I'd still recommend workshops over the school training, but the advantage of the schools is that if you cannot afford a rig, you still have constant access to one. Wherever you live an hour away from, see if you can get there for a workshop and spend the night(s) at a hotel, perhaps with a parent. Also, even if you make it to a school with Steadicam, see if you can make it to a nearby workshop when one occurs. Pennsylvania is a great location for that, and even at SCAD in Savannah, Atlanta is only 3 1/2 hours away and there are workshops there regularly.

Make sure to check The workshop website to keep up on when and where there are workshops.

There is a lot that goes into choosing a college, make sure you are where you want to be for a few years, don't settle for less just because they teach Steadicam. You can always take a workshop somewhere.

That said, if you end up at SCAD, (my old stomping grounds) let me know!

#3 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

I would love to take workshop but I live a hour away.

If you are interested in steadicam, take a workshop:

An hour away is pretty close. I drove 2 hours each way for my workshop. Some people in our workshop drove much further than this.

#4 G. Grammatikos

G. Grammatikos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Greece

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

Many operators we are in the other point of earth ,so please do not tell again iam 1 hour away!!!!
all the best

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers