5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Morey

Ryan Morey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

Well I am new to this whole steadicam thing and this seems like the perfect place to get started.I just bought a steadicam pilot aa and had a quick question.What is the max weight for the pilot.I know that it says 2-10lbs but I wasn't sure if that was for the entire sled with camera and weights or that was in addition to the weight of the sled.Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just had to ask.I just weighed my sled with the camera and weights installed and it came in at 12.2lbs....is that pushing it?

Thanks!
Ryan

Edited by Ryan Morey, 23 January 2009 - 09:35 AM.

#2 Ryan Morey

Ryan Morey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

Well I am new to this whole steadicam thing and this seems like the perfect place to get started.I just bought a steadicam pilot aa and had a quick question.What is the max weight for the pilot.I know that it says 2-10lbs but I wasn't sure if that was for the entire sled with camera and weights or that was in addition to the weight of the sled.Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just had to ask.I just weighed my sled with the camera and weights installed and it came in at 12.2lbs....is that pushing it?

Thanks!
Ryan

Well I just heard from support at Steadicam and they said that the 10 pound weight limit is for the camera only and does not include the weight of the sled....So I hope that info helps someone.

Thanks!
Ryan

#3 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hi Ryan,

The 10 pound max weight for the Pilot includes:
• the camera
• camera battery
• other camera accessories (wireless audio receiver, wireless video transmitter, on camera lighting, tripod adapter, etc.)
• any screw-on weights you add.
• the Pilot's battery at the bottom.

The larger screw-on "middle-weights" are 1/4 pound each. The smaller rounded "end-weights" are 1/8 pound each. The Pilot's AA pack weighs 3/4 pound.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Buy 8 extra screw-on "middle-weights":
http://www.bhphotovi...nce_Weight.html

2) Buy a tripod adapter. This makes it much easier to get the camera on and off the Pilot. I have a Manfrotto tripod, so I use this adapter:
http://www.bhphotovi...se_Adapter.html

3) If you don't already have one, buy an accurate scale so you can weigh your camera and accessories:
http://shop.usps.com...amp;WT.ac=41901

4) At each end of the bottom crossbar, use 2 screw-on middle-weights and 1 end-weight. Having the weights at the end of the bottom crossbar makes your pans a lot more smooth. Together with the battery weight, this will total around 2 pounds at the bottom of the Pilot.

5) Since heavier steadicams are more stable, add enough screw-on middle-weights to the stage to get the total top weight as close to 8 pounds as possible without going over.

There's a lot of Pilot info over on dvinfo.net:
http://www.dvinfo.ne...-steadicam-etc/
Particularly here:
http://www.dvinfo.ne...-started-q.html
and here:
http://www.dvinfo.ne...attery-mod.html

Let me know how you make out,
Dave

Edited by Dave Gish, 23 January 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#4 Ryan Morey

Ryan Morey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great info.I did check out those threads....great stuff.I wound up putting 4 (2 on each side) middle weights and two ends up top and 8 middle weights (4 on each side) and two ends on the bottom.I was just messing around and haven't really had the chance to try it out with the new weights yet.I have a xh-a1 cam on it.Does that make sense or is it too heavy on the bottom now? I did find a cool little quick release at b+h http://www.bhphotovi...r...0188&is=REG .It looks like a nice little piece of equipment.I'm also going to get some extra aa cartriges from ebay.Thanks for helping out a noob:)

Ryan

#5 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I wound up putting 4 (2 on each side) middle weights and two ends up top and 8 middle weights (4 on each side) and two ends on the bottom

It's more stable when the gimbal closer to the lens. In order to keep a 2-3 second drop time, more weight on the bottom will force you to move the gimbal away from the lens, which decreases stability in the tilt and roll axis.

For the Pilot, I've found it best to have 2 lbs on the bottom and 8 pounds on the top. This keeps the gimbal around 2 inches from the stage and provides enough weight at the ends of the bottom crossbar to provide good pan inertia.

The XH-A1 is 4.5 lbs. The BP-950G camera battery is 1/2 lb. I'm guessing the Rover Snap Quick Release System is around 1/2 lb. That's 5.5 lbs. Add 8 middle weights (4 on each side) and 2 end weights (1 on each side) to the stage and you've got 2.25 pounds of screw-on weights up top. This all totals 7.75 lb of top weight, which is near ideal.

On the bottom, 4 middle weights (2 on each side) and 2 end weights (1 on each side) add up to 1.25 lb. With the AA batteries, that totals 2 lbs.

Hope this helps,
Dave

#6 Ryan Morey

Ryan Morey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

I wound up putting 4 (2 on each side) middle weights and two ends up top and 8 middle weights (4 on each side) and two ends on the bottom

It's more stable when the gimbal closer to the lens. In order to keep a 2-3 second drop time, more weight on the bottom will force you to move the gimbal away from the lens, which decreases stability in the tilt and roll axis.

For the Pilot, I've found it best to have 2 lbs on the bottom and 8 pounds on the top. This keeps the gimbal around 2 inches from the stage and provides enough weight at the ends of the bottom crossbar to provide good pan inertia.

The XH-A1 is 4.5 lbs. The BP-950G camera battery is 1/2 lb. I'm guessing the Rover Snap Quick Release System is around 1/2 lb. That's 5.5 lbs. Add 8 middle weights (4 on each side) and 2 end weights (1 on each side) to the stage and you've got 2.25 pounds of screw-on weights up top. This all totals 7.75 lb of top weight, which is near ideal.

On the bottom, 4 middle weights (2 on each side) and 2 end weights (1 on each side) add up to 1.25 lb. With the AA batteries, that totals 2 lbs.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Hi Dave,
That setup worked great.It really help with the stability...thanks again for all of your help.Mt steadicam training DVD should be here Monday!....let the games begin!

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems