Photo

Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 - good with the EX1?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 olly law

olly law

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

I am seriously thinking of buying a Sony EX1 and need to find a affordable steadicam for it. The Magic Arm and Flycam 6000 seems to offer the perfect solution - with a tripod as well - all for a mere $1000 - although I'm always a little skeptical of anything that has 'magic' in the title). Costs are starting to pile up , even without considering a tripod, extra battery, SxS cards (or SDHC equivalent).

This seems like a wise choice as it includes a tripod and allows Camera weighing up to 15lbs.

Has anyone had any experience of using this steadicam? The others I have looked at are the Merlin Pilot, but they are too expensive and the Merlin army and vest would not suitable as the EX1 weights a fair bit. Again the Glidecam 4000 is also far to expensive.

It will mostly be used for filming weddings, but some corporate filming too.

Thanks

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

Olly, having just responded to your other post--it sounds like you have already ruled out the Steadicam products (probably should have kept your question in a single thread).

The "perfect" solution is generally never the cheapest one, unless you have little expectation of performance. I suggest you search over at dvinfo.net under "Flycam", I have heard a number of complaints about this unit as to be expected for its price.

#3 olly law

olly law

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Olly, having just responded to your other post--it sounds like you have already ruled out the Steadicam products (probably should have kept your question in a single thread).

The "perfect" solution is generally never the cheapest one, unless you have little expectation of performance. I suggest you search over at dvinfo.net under "Flycam", I have heard a number of complaints about this unit as to be expected for its price.

Thanks Charles,

Sorry, I couldn't find my original post, so posted a new thread. Thanks for directing me to DVinfo, you're right, a lot of small parts breaking seems to be the main issues with the flycam 6000. I think I will have to invest in a Pilot - although I definitely cannot afford to buy new.

Do you know a good place where I can buy 2nd hand steadicams? Bearing in mind that I am in England.

Thanks

#4 Michael Suchar

Michael Suchar

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 32 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Olly, I have been using / modifing the Magic Arm 6000 for the past several months. It's ok out of the box but has become more useable with the mods I've been making. If your on a budget and not sure about using a camera stabalizer, you may want to check out the HBS fourm. Below are two links; one is a short reveiw I did when I frist received the rig and the other is about the mods I've been making. You will need to register to see the photos.

http://hbsboard.com/...pic,3702.0.html
http://hbsboard.com/...pic,3708.0.html

After using the rig for a while, I'll have to agree with Charles, you get what you pay for and it has it's limitations. But it was enough for me to determain that I do want to pursure Steadicam work. So as timem and funds allow I will start looking for a pro rig.

I would also suggest a Steadicam Pilot for an low cost entry rig to see if you really want to pursure this type of work.

Edited by Michael Suchar, 18 January 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#5 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi Olly

Why not call our office for a chat and maybe we can point you somewhere? 01869 343835

Robin

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers