#1 Rogerhaugen

Rogerhaugen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Norway

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi!
I am preparing a Arri-D21 shoot and I am trying to find the best solutions running the camera by cable. What kind of cables do I need to use back to the recorder? I have never seen this camera yet so I don´t know if there are any smaller fiber optic cables to choose from?

Also are there composite outputs on this camera?

Any other tips are welcome!

Thanks!

Roger Haugen

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Yes, fiber is the way to go (we are using the Rattler) although the S.two flashmag is looking promising, will be testing one of those on show I'm about to start.

The camera does indeed have a composite SD output on the back.

Otherwise power and camera run are the same cables as 435, LT etc.

#3 Richard W. Davis

Richard W. Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I just finished shooting with this camera out of Clairmont camera on WORST WEEK . We had a Rattler fiber optic system which worked very well. I used one small jumper cable (6 FT) from the camera to my back and the only slightly heavier cable to the DIT and recorder.

BEST,

RICH DAVIS
LA

#4 Richard W. Davis

Richard W. Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

The camera does indeed have a composite SD output on the back.

Which is awesome, because you get full 35mm style room above the frameline output to your NTSC monitor. This comes from the CVBS bnc on the back of the camera.

Good Luck.

Rich Davis
LA

#5 Rogerhaugen

Rogerhaugen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Norway

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thanks!
Great info! Same low mode bracket as LT as well?

Roger

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

Thanks!

Roger

the bracket is much wider, but still pretty light. Here are a few pics from when I used the camera last summer:

Attached Files

#7 Rogerhaugen

Rogerhaugen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Norway

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thanks!
Who makes the low mode bracket? Any web address, also on cables if you have.

Roger

#8 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

Thanks!
Who makes the low mode bracket? Any web address, also on cables if you have.

Roger

Arri Makes the lo-Mode bracket, it comes with the camera.

You don't need any special cables, just a normal 435 run/stop and power cable. You will need a lightweight BNC Jumper cable if you're not using fiber or a flashmag

#9 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hey guys, slightly off the topic, but not really.

I have done very little Fiber work. In fact, I just did an F23 job with Fiber with one of our best NYC DITs. He uses a Mohawk SMPTE fiber jumper that is light and rather flexible for Steadicam. This cable DOES provide power to the camera. I believe there may be some thinner ones that DO NOT provide power, but he prefers this as is very durable. If I were to buy my own, is this a good one to get that would work for all Fiber systems?

Like I said, I really have not dealt with this much, but there seems to be more and more of these jobs now.

Thanks.

#10 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks!

Roger

the bracket is much wider, but still pretty light. Here are a few pics from when I used the camera last summer:

So I read your post, then I looked at your pictures. In the first picture I immediately oriented myself to exactly where it was taken in Clairmont.

Sigh... I think I've been working there too long!

#11 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hey guys, slightly off the topic, but not really.

I have done very little Fiber work. In fact, I just did an F23 job with Fiber with one of our best NYC DITs. He uses a Mohawk SMPTE fiber jumper that is light and rather flexible for Steadicam. This cable DOES provide power to the camera. I believe there may be some thinner ones that DO NOT provide power, but he prefers this as is very durable. If I were to buy my own, is this a good one to get that would work for all Fiber systems?

Like I said, I really have not dealt with this much, but there seems to be more and more of these jobs now.

Thanks.

Hey Alec, I assume your talking about Barry M? I own a few of these short jumpers, in fact I was involved in the early design of them with Mohawk. We tried different thicknesses until we discovered the minimum threshold to hold enough info with power. The one you refer to without power is only marginally thinner but pretty much the same flex to it, so I go for the power version. These cable were originally designed for the sony 950 cameras so they come with the sony type fiber connectors. I know Barry has designed a fiber back for Genesis that works with these connectors what about Arri D21???

#12 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Jeff,

"Hey Alec, I assume your talking about Barry M? "

Yes, indeed I am. Fantastic fella. The job in question is "Gossip Girl" where we use F23's & F900s (depending on which unit). Both systems are equipped with Fiber and we use the jumper that includes the power line, which is nice because we never have to worry about batteries and like you said - it is surprisingly flexible. I like their system (of course no cables would be better, but that's life).

Not sure about Barry adapting it to the D21, but I'm sure he could though.

I hear you're keeping busy & are doing well. Happy for you.

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

BOXX

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems