15 replies to this topic

#1 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Today I received a giant package in the mail and behold, my new steadicam had arrived.

It's a PROAIM-7000 REVERSE ARM WITH DV OPERATOR VEST + FLYCAM 6000 (quite a mouthfull)

more info on
http://thecinecity.c...o...at=0&page=1

For a more personal review I'll sum up the pros and cons as I go.

The whole rig is quite robust and I don't doubt for a minute that it could handle the specified weight (50 lbs of combined camera and sled weight) though I think it'll be extremely difficult to operate with that weight.

The vest is a little bit hard (the foam parts) but it will probably settle once I wear it often enough.
The paint is truly awful (it comes of with the slightest scratch) but I think the price would have
been a lot more if it was anodized instead. The sled is really nice, it's easy to balance because you
don't need any tools for the job (except to secure the gimbal). The whole kit comes delivered with
three sizes of alan keys to adjust everything, I don't really trust the tools, the most narrow one
(3mm) feels a little fragile, but the other two are ok. The arm weighs a little bit more than I
expected, it's also adjustable without the use of any tools. I admit, it's probably not the most
sophisticated rig in the world, but for less than $2000 you can't go wrong with this one. I included
a picture of me wearing the rig with my XL1s on top and a 4" lcd screen at the bottom. If anybody
has any questions or remarks, feel free to reply.

#2 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

Well, you seem very happy and proud about your new rig. Good. It´s a very good way to begin in this crazy world. Good luck with it and ....Hold the line...
Best regards.

(When you change it for other rig.... you´ll remember this post with love.....Nice.)

#3 Chuck Moran

Chuck Moran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Rochester, New York

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hey Nils. We all have to start somewhere. I ordered a different version from the same company but haven't received it yet. I ordered it so I could practise more often. I've heard good things about the rigs; at least for the price. I have been renting rigs for work over the last year, but I know that I need more practise and thought I'd give it a try. I'd like to get your impressions of the rig as you put it through its' paces.

Good luck!

Chuck

#4 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

I finally was able to upload the photo, here you go.Posted Image

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:48 PM

AH, i have seen you advertising for crane and steadicam work. The ad looks like your really new in this game. ( and i guess its your first rig? Am i right? )

Have fun with your new rig.

#6 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi Job,

Yes I am rather new in the whole steadicam world (thanks for the correction-email by the way, I knew it was wrong but you were ahead of me ;-)). I'm not the one that made/operates the crane by the way, that's the creator of the website Joey Terwindt ==> www.gripfruit.com

I hope this rig will be a great way to get introduced into the steadicam world.

#7 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Nils,

1) Congrats on getting a rig.

2) I moved your topic to the "Newbie section" because it seems a more appropriate place to put it. I don't mean to come off as a snob, but I've actually received a complaint that this forum has been focusing too much on low end rigs lately. At least if these conversations are confined to the newbie threads, they can be skipped more easily by those who are not interested. The reality is that this web site was designed for professional operators who make a living with professional rigs. We realize that the line has blurred as cameras have shrunk, etc. so we move forward. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but these are odd times indeed.

A word of operating advice. Shed some of the weights at the bottom of your sled so you can move your gimbal up towards the top stage. You will find that this makes things much easier on you as a slight imperfection in horizon will not be magnified by the distance to the camera. If you need a higher camera hight, change the arm post for a longer one (if possible on that arm) or boom up.

Good luck.

#8 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

Alec,

No problem for moving the post, I was having doubts about wether to put it in general discussion or with steadi-newbies, the fact of the matter is ==> I'm a newbie (and proud of it) but i'm eager to learn. Thanks for the operating advice as well, I'm constantly experimenting with the balance of the camera, more or less weights etc. I'm eventually going to look out for a telescopic arm when I need a higher camera height.

#9 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

As the great Alec mentioned, either shed the weight on the bottom or add a weight cage or plates on the top of the stage. But I guess it will be easier to remove the weight as mentioned. Then again the more weight the better the stability

#10 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

Please reduce your pictures to something like 400x300 pixels, that saves a lot of download time everytime you open this thread.
Is that monitor OK to look at outside in daylight and against a white clouded sky? Looks like a normal LCD to me.
Rob

What do you mean with "telescopic arm" ? Is that a longer rod on the end on the arm or something extendable like a lamp-stand?

Rob

#11 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

Rob,

I will keep the picture size in mind when I post a picture in the future.

The monitor is pretty bright and not too glossy, though I will make a sunhood of some sort to fit on the monitor, the LCD is a TV-One LM-401M ==> Click here

The current center post doesn't extend in any way so it's not a telescopic arm, the perfect example of a telescopic arm is the ultra2 post from tiffen.

#12 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

Rob,

I guess he is talking about his post, and not an arm.

#13 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Indeed, I meant a telescopic centerpost not a telescopic arm

#14 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

Indeed, I meant a telescopic centerpost not a telescopic arm

Hi Nils!...No telescopic arms allowed in the market... But...should be a great idea.... NIce, nice.... :P

#15 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:53 AM

Nils,

I was looking at your website today. I cant believe you rent your gear + yourself for 60 euro's a day? ( around 45 dollar a day) I know you need to get the experience, but comon, 60 euros a day

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

BOXX