• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Alan Greene

Bruce Alan Greene

• Sustaining Members
  • 26 posts
  • los angeles

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

I just received my equipment policy for renewal, and after reviewing the language in the policy I feel that I'm not necessarily covered when at work! Or basically when the equipment is not in my "custody and control" or something like that. And it's only covered to $5000 when rented out. It's not clear if rented out while I'm working on the show qualifies. It's all just so vague and I fear I might not be covered when it really matters such as when the production lets their own insurance lapse.

So if anyone has a suggestion about where to buy insurance please let me know ASAP.

Thanks so much!

-bruce

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Bruce;

I just sent you an e-mail about this.

I just talked to Tanya. This "care and control" thing is just about gear you would rent to someone without you going along as the operator.

If you go as the operator everything is fine. It can stay on the truck, etc.

(I have a second Steadicam that I rent to other operators and that's where I needed a separate policy to cover that Steadicam. It is clearly not covered on the standard Steadicam owner policy.)

You should all talk to her if you have questions because I certainly don't know everything but nothing has changed in my mind.

JA

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

Who are yall getting this policy from and about how much does it run?

~Jess

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Janice wrote:

<<I just talked to Tanya. This "care and control" thing is just about gear you would rent to someone without you going along as the operator.

If you go as the operator everything is fine. It can stay on the truck, etc.>>

This is the same explanation I received when I switched my policies to Tanya / WP Dolle this summer. It's fair and reasonable to keep our policy insurance costs low since equipment rented to others without you there would in many cases not be cared for as well as you would care for it yourself. Switching to WP Dolle saved me approximately $3,000 dollars per year in premiums for better coverage where I need it, particularly for my General Liability Coverage.

In this instance you simply cover yourself and your equipment by requiring a Certificate of Insurance with Rented Equipment Coverage from the Renter.

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

BOXX