G. Grammatikos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Greece

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

hi Guys
i just get my new pro arm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :P :lol: :P :P
my questions is :can i use the arm with only 2 canisters (2 black for video cameras or 2 blue for dv sets)?if yes what bones must load with canisters the up or the down bones?advantage and dissadvantage of using 2 canisters ?(i have 6 can 4 black 2 blue and prodably as i see i will need 2 more blue unless if iam working video jobs with 2 black canisters)
thanks in advance

#2 Nikolay Kerezov

Nikolay Kerezov

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 144 posts
  • Sofia;Bulgaria

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi,
It is probably better to have four blue ones ,because with 4 you can carry up to ARRI LT (maybe even a Moviecam Compact)
You will never need to add 4 black springs unless you are using IMAX

Regards!

#3 G. Grammatikos

G. Grammatikos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Greece

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hi,
It is probably better to have four blue ones ,because with 4 you can carry up to ARRI LT (maybe even a Moviecam Compact)
You will never need to add 4 black springs unless you are using IMAX

Regards!

Hi Nikolay thanks for your advice but that i need for the moment is answers on my questions ,can i fly with two black canisters ?

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Here's something that will answer your question:

http://pro-gpi.com/armrange.htm

What's I find amazing about the PRO arm is that it manages to feel exactly the same with any combination of canisters, anywhere in its range.

#5 G. Grammatikos

G. Grammatikos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Greece

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

thanks Charles i have already read the pro range (study it i can say)but i want to know how is it in action as i will test it tomorrow (prodably with 2 black canister) your coment it was that i want to hear ,thanks

#6 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

When flying it with two springs, each arm section would have one spring in it. Technically, it would not matter which bone it was in per section, but you may as well place them so you can adjust it while wearing the rig (i.e. the bottom bone of the upper section & the upper bone of the lower section would each have a spring).

#7 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

I did a little shoot last weekend with an HVX200, and for the first time I used only 2 blue canisters and it worked just fine. As Alec suggested it's easiest to place them where they can be adjusted while wearing it (bottom front and top back), but it doesn't matter technically.

#8 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

I've also used a mini dv camera with two blues. And I agree that the PRO arm is frickin amazing!!!!!!!

While were on the subject, I maxed out the arm today for the first time ever. I had 4 blacks, all the way tight and I still had to lift a bit. It was a CineAlta, P2 adaptor, Cook S4 and (the part that put me over the top), was a full studio telepromptor. I only did it for 2 shots and I didn't move that much. The people reading the promptor were the Vicortia Secret angles so I was feeling extra manily ;D

#9 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:48 AM

groan--Mike, I remember that picture from your "ancient past" wearing a large prompter--might be time to come up with an alternative...??!!

I did a lot of research on this recently as I had a three day shoot with prompter and was close to buying this one and making a custom bracket to mount it off the dovetail rods (which would have dropped the weight to between 3-4 lbs by my estimation) but we ended up going with a simple above-the-lens prompter. Still might be worth it for the odd rental--although out of pure empathy, I think I'd lend it to you for free!!!

#10 Andrey Yazydzhi

Andrey Yazydzhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Moscou

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:18 AM

groan--Mike, I remember that picture from your "ancient past" wearing a large prompter--might be time to come up with an alternative...??!!

I did a lot of research on this recently as I had a three day shoot with prompter and was close to buying this one and making a custom bracket to mount it off the dovetail rods (which would have dropped the weight to between 3-4 lbs by my estimation) but we ended up going with a simple above-the-lens prompter. Still might be worth it for the odd rental--although out of pure empathy, I think I'd lend it to you for free!!!

Last february I worked with studios teleprompter and digital Betacam for tree days . It was about 19 kilos on my steady. But this question is not about the arm only .

Best ,

#11 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

Something like that would have been nice........... I seem to get a promptor about once every two years so I guess it's not such a big deal. And, if the talent wasn't so darn hot I'd probably have told them, "oh just remember your dam lines you dumb bitch"! It was something really tricky like, "More Victorias Secret Angles, next on CBS".

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Omnishot Systems