• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastian Bueno

Sebastian Bueno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

i know many people may ask this... but im really new in this scene... in fact im not even part of it yet. But the question is this, Whats is the best school to go to learn Steadicam? and if there is no school... what workshop, or where do i go to learn anything basic. I have a few workshops that ive looked at... but im looking for anyone that knows more about this than me....

Thanks guys,
Sebastian Bueno

#2 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:36 AM

I think the 2-day Steadicam Flyer/ Pilot workshop is a great way to start:
Peter is a great instructor. $500 well spent.

My advice would be to buy the Steadicam Pilot for around $4000. I think this is the best rig for HD cameras up to 8 pounds (e.g. Sony EX1, Panasonic HVX200, Canon XH-A1, etc.). All of the skills you learn on the Pilot apply directly to the heavy rigs, so it's a great way to learn. In fact, because the Pilot is so light, it forces you to have a really light touch. If you decide to buy a big rig later, the Pilot will still be valuable for shoots with smaller cameras. The Pilot is light enough to use for hours at a time. This makes it possible to do run-and-gun type stuff with a Steadicam, which opens up some new possibilities.

If you decide to go for a big rig, you'll want the 5-day Steadicam workshop for $3000. These workshops are held less often and in fewer places, so travel and hotel costs would be significant. A good steadicam capable of lifting heavy cameras will cost you $20K - $65K. You'll also need to buy a wireless follow focus/iris system, HD to SD down-converter, wireless video transmitter, wireless video monitor(s), lots of custom cables, light hardware for mounting things, plus cases and a cart to move it all around. All of that will add another $10K - $15K.

Hope this helps.

#3 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hi Sebastian,
welcome on the forum. If you just type "workshops" in the search tab you'll find plenty of infos as this question has been addressed many times in the past.

Have fun

#4 Sebastian Bueno

Sebastian Bueno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

thank you... all this did help.

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications