• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:20 AM

I can?t get a 3 second drop time without practically centering the gimbal on the post.

Here is my current steadicam efp sled set up.
1. On top I have a weight plate and a small dv camera that together weigh about 14 pounds.
2. The center post is almost fully compressed and just a little over 12 inches high. I prefer a longer post length but, extending the post would make the drop time even worse.
3. Everything is fairly light on the bottom half of the sled. Super light LCD and a Hytron 50. I use the lighter battery because of the light camera set up.

In the manual it says that the payload (camera and accessories) for the efp is between 12 and 26 pounds. Is my only option to add more top weight? How was it done back in the day?

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

Andre,

You need to raise your CG. Instead of a weight plate, use a cage (two weight plates connected by legs). Your single weight plate is simply too close to your tops stage - its not just the pay load you are carrying but how it is distributed. I flew an F23 yesterday with a fiber back & crap all over it. Too tall. I had my post extended more than I like, but the total weight was just about equal to the LWII I had on there the day before.

#3 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the response Alec. I checked the forum but, it seems like weight cages are hard to come by these days.

#4 Andrey Yazydzhi

Andrey Yazydzhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Moscou

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for the response Alec. I checked the forum but, it seems like weight cages are hard to come by these days.

Andre,
the mass center of ecvivalent camera ( big camera or small with additional weights ) mast be about 4- 5 inches upper above top stage level . The best variant is to use weight cage . You may use some variant of rising plate under your weight plate with small camera .

#5 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:05 AM

Hi Andre,

If your camera has a handle, attach weight to that. If you have this item,

Low mode camera handle clamp 078-7393-02 in this brochure: http://www.steadicam..._Brchr_0307.pdf

you can screw your weight plate to it. The goal is to get the added weight as high as possible. You can also wrap diver's ankle weights like these,

http://www.scubascot...om/ weights.htm

around the camera (they are also available for 'home workouts' at some stores, often in shocking pink or lime green), but these are not as rigid as a weight plate or cage.

Good luck!

Chris

#6 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Hey Andre, I have a single 11 lb weight plate and a handle mount low mode bracket if you want to test it out for a few days. Call me and I'll send it over to you.

#7 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Gents:

Are we suggesting mounting 10lbs of weight with a handle clamp to a 4 lb DV camera (or smaller--Andre said "little DV camera", which can be more like 1 to 1.5 lbs)? That sounds a little dicey to me--at the least, the weight will flop around on the handle; to avoid this one might be tempted to tighten the clamp hard enough to damage the handle, etc.

I like Alec's suggestion of the steel cage best. Should be pretty easy to have a local machinist make one. If you don't have one yet, might be a good first project to test the waters with someone!

#8 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Gents:

Are we suggesting mounting 10lbs of weight with a handle clamp to a 4 lb DV camera (or smaller--Andre said "little DV camera", which can be more like 1 to 1.5 lbs)? That sounds a little dicey to me--at the least, the weight will flop around on the handle; to avoid this one might be tempted to tighten the clamp hard enough to damage the handle, etc.

I like Alec's suggestion of the steel cage best. Should be pretty easy to have a local machinist make one. If you don't have one yet, might be a good first project to test the waters with someone!

Aah! The voice of reason.

#9 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Robert, you rock dude! Thanks for your offer but, like Charles said, it?s a very small and light dv camera that I?m just using to practice. I think it?s only about 2 lbs with the battery attached and there is no handle.

Charles, I would like to get a cage made but, how do you go about finding a machinist that will do just one cage? Any recommendations for a good machine shop/machinist in the LA area? I know where I can find the steel but, where would I find the struts? Can I buy struts that are already threaded anywhere?

Thanks again for all your help.

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions