#1 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hey Guys,

So I have the ProVid Garfiled mount that attaches to speed rail or a plank of wood. However I do not have the bottom bracket that would mount to a dolly. I am wondering if anyone that has one, if you could measure the dimensions. The main dimensions im looking for is the diameter of the inner lip that sits in place and the outer diameter of the whole bracket. I also need the bolt size and thread count that is used. I have a family machine shop that will allow me to make it all I need is measurements. I know that I probably have confused you with what im asking but if anyone does know what I mean please let me know.

thanks,

Mark

#2 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

The mount that the dolly uses is called a Mitchell mount. Don't know the specs off hand but I figured knowing the name might make them easier to find.

~Jess

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

If I remember correctly the Provid vehicle mount had a unique base to it that wasn't a Mitchell (it was sort of shaped like a top hat, right?) Had slots around the lip for driving in screws?

You would be better off making a Mitchell base as it is an industry standard, as Jess says.

#4 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

If I remember correctly the Provid vehicle mount had a unique base to it that wasn't a Mitchell (it was sort of shaped like a top hat, right?) Had slots around the lip for driving in screws?

You would be better off making a Mitchell base as it is an industry standard, as Jess says.

Yea Charles thats exactly what I have, and making a Mitchel base is exactly what I want to do. Thats why I need the dimensions of the outside diameter and the inside lip. Just the bottom piece in this pic:

Attached Files

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Your in LA right? Drop by someplace like Chapman and chat them up. Bring a tape measure and a camera.

~Jess

#6 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Your in LA right? Drop by someplace like Chapman and chat them up. Bring a tape measure and a camera.

~Jess

Yea thats what I think I have to do. I just figured it was worth a try since I know there are a lot of guys on here who have one.

#7 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Here is what mine is:
OD 7"
Lip OD 2.86"/ .27" tall. It fits loosely inside the mitchell hole.
.5" tie down, course thread.
There is a low bolt head used for the keyway .36" OD. Threaded holes are spaced every 60 degrees to allow you to change the keyway to allow for proper orientation of the socket block.

Good luck.

#8 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Lawrence! Thats exactly what I needed!

Edited by Mark Calver, 28 October 2008 - 07:58 PM.

IDX

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC