4 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

So I just booked a 4 day job shooting with the SR2. Its been a few years since I've seen this camera. I've never flown it before.

Looking for some tips on items I should be asking for.

I know that the run stop on it is the 11 pin fischer which may also be the spot to power the video tap. I believe this camera does require an external video tap.

Like the SRIII I guess I'll fly it with the onboard battery. But if i were to power off the rig does it use the same 2 pin fischer as other arri cameras? Is it 12v or 24v?

So as of now I know I'm telling them I need a clip on mattbox, lowmode bracket, videotap. What else is good to have to make my life easier?

The camera is coming from Handheld in NY.

#2 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

I know that the run stop on it is the 11 pin fischer which may also be the spot to power the video tap. I believe this camera does require an external video tap.

I don't think I have ever seen this camera come without a video tap although checking would be good as I am sure its possible. Different ones will have slightly different taps which is important when it comes to fitting a lowmode bracket. Not all will fit all SR2s because of the different taps.

It does use the 11pin for start/stop and the tap may or may not need it depending on the design. Some cameras will have a second 11pin connector but not all. Also keep in mind that if you are changing frame rate this requires an external speed controller which uses the 11pin fischer.

But if i were to power off the rig does it use the same 2 pin fischer as other arri cameras? Is it 12v or 24v?

It takes a 12v 4 pin XLR

So as of now I know I'm telling them I need a clip on mattbox, lowmode bracket, videotap. What else is good to have to make my life easier?

If you want to keep things light and need rods there is a little arri bracket that goes on the front so you don't need a baseplate. I often fly this camera with the baseplate and regular mattbox to give it a little extra weight and then go either with or without the onboard battery depending on how much weight I want. Another option for a follow focus rod is coming off of the rosette with a Hill 2N1 or something similar.

If you use the onboard batteries you may want to add a little bit of gaff tape to hold them on so that they can't flop back while shooting.

~Jess

#3 Andrey Yazydzhi

Andrey Yazydzhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Moscou

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:05 AM

I don't think I have ever seen this camera come without a video tap although checking would be good as I am sure its possible. Different ones will have slightly different taps which is important when it comes to fitting a lowmode bracket. Not all will fit all SR2s because of the different taps.

It does use the 11pin for start/stop and the tap may or may not need it depending on the design. Some cameras will have a second 11pin connector but not all. Also keep in mind that if you are changing frame rate this requires an external speed controller which uses the 11pin fischer.

But if i were to power off the rig does it use the same 2 pin fischer as other arri cameras? Is it 12v or 24v?

It takes a 12v 4 pin XLR

If you want to keep things light and need rods there is a little arri bracket that goes on the front so you don't need a baseplate. I often fly this camera with the baseplate and regular mattbox to give it a little extra weight and then go either with or without the onboard battery depending on how much weight I want. Another option for a follow focus rod is coming off of the rosette with a Hill 2N1 or something similar.

If you use the onboard batteries you may want to add a little bit of gaff tape to hold them on so that they can't flop back while shooting.

~Jess

4 pin XLR : 1-"-" , 4- "+" , 2- and 3- are free . Don't forget ( it's IMPORTANT) that Arri SRII have power limit 14,0 Volts (NOT 14,4 V !).
Best ,

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

4 pin XLR : 1-"-" , 4- "+" , 2- and 3- are free . Don't forget ( it's IMPORTANT) that Arri SRII have power limit 14,0 Volts (NOT 14,4 V !).
Best ,

Really? I could have sworn I have used my 14.4v AB trimpacks which when hot top out at about 16volts with no problems whatsoever. Don't take my word for it as I don't want you to fry anything. With the Aaton XTR on the other hand the video tap refuses to work with a fresh 14.4v battery. I just use onboards.

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

A little research tells me that the original SR can't handle 14.4v, not certain about the SR2. I have done it but there are variations in the cameras so I can't be certain that they all will do it.

~Jess

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Engineered Cinema Solutions