Low platform

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GerryVasbenter

GerryVasbenter

• Sustaining Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

I'm looking for ideas on the use of low platform type rickshaw to step on and off during a long walk and talk. I've not done step offs with a rickshaw before and wonder if there are some established conventions. Its all on flat smooth terrain, apart from the mechanics, things I have to consider are, the shots i'm doing will be unrehearsed and shot with F23 one piece with a flash mag, a heavy payload from all accounts. Communication is one thing, I'm thinking comtec as used by crane ops, a seat or post to lean against? Shooting in both directions, pulling verses pushing the rickshaw possible ? I've seen Elephant, and the u-tube excerpts from Russian Ark, any other films using this technique worth watching?
All ideas welcome, what doya think would work? :rolleyes:
Cheers Gerry

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

I saw this:
Action Dolly and thought it might be useful. Although it may be a bit narrow for a step-on. Have fun.

#3 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

All ideas welcome, what doya think would work? :rolleyes:
Cheers Gerry
[/quote]

Hi Gerry
Have you had a look at the shot in "Atonement" If you get the DVD in the Making Of you will see how the grips had made a large rickshore for the operator Peter Robertson to use through out the shot (There is a step off and on through out the shot)
You are in London now right, give Peter a call .!!
All the best
Louis Puli from down under B)

#4 GerryVasbenter

GerryVasbenter

• Sustaining Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanx Guys I've found a low rickshaw designed by optical support which looks like the business, will see how it goes this week.
Cheers Gerry.

#5 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thanx Guys I've found a low rickshaw designed by optical support which looks like the business, will see how it goes this week.
Cheers Gerry.

Hi!...What rickshaw?.... Thanks

#6 GerryVasbenter

GerryVasbenter

• Sustaining Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

Cheers Gerry.

Hi!...What rickshaw?.... Thanks

Just finished some Steadicam intensive shooting on which the rickshaw was brill. The rickshaw is a prototype unit built by Optical Support in the UK, it based on their original design, this unit is for stepping on and off, it has a very low platform and a sort of reverse cow catcher support post for the operator to lean /rest against, it enabled me to do some very long takes, using the rickshaw for leading and following and then getting off to do stairs, lifts(elevators) etc. Although some mods will improve this set up, it's a gr8 start. I certainly would have been unable to do a 20 min takes required for this job without it.

Gerry B)

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

pictures?

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX