• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the M1 Digital Motors. I'm in the market for some new motors for a used FIZ I bought. Of course, the DM-2's are proven, but I'm curious if anyone has compared the M1 Digital to the DM-2. When you factor brackets, gears & cables, the M1 Digital is about $700 cheaper per motor. Not that price is the deciding factor, but when buying 3, it adds up.

#2 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 495 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi Mark. I was just in Chicago and everyone there is going on about the work in Michigan. Hope you are getting some of that action.
I just bought 2 M1's and a .5 for a second Preston Package.
The only real disadvantage is that you have to dedicate the .5 to the zoom. Although it will work as a focus or iris motor it has the sensitivity specific to zoom functions.
I've been using all 3 motors for the last 5 weeks and they have performed perfectly. The only difference is that they are a little loud. I expressed my concern about this to Don Wetzl and he explained that the drive and transmission gears are brass and steel respectively and take a little time to get comfrotable and quiet. After 5 weeks I've noticed a difference. I really like the quick change gear system. I like it enough that I bought the conversion kits for 3 of my existing Preston motors.
I need the full complement of motors by a specific date to complete the second Preston pacakage for a 5 week rental. Don said no problem but then ran into several delays. I was handcuffed at one point with half a fizz package and no motors 4 days from shooting.
Feeling as though he'd left me in a tough situation Don called me on Saturday and said he'd fly out on Sunday(Montana to Georgia), rent a car, drive to my house and hand deliver the motors and hang out while I installed them on the camera package to answer any questions! It all worked out and he didn't have to fly out, I had the motors in time. I really appreciated that.

I'd buy more.

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus