• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yousheng Tang

Yousheng Tang

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • New York

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi, I need help choosing my first rig. I've used the Glidecam v20 in the past. For my budget, I'm looking for something that ranges from $2000 to about $5000. I plan on flying mostly with the Panasonic HVX200 and the Sony EX1. I would also like to be able to fly 16mm cameras like Arri S and Arri SRII. I did some research for the Glidecam v16 with is about 3900. Then I found the FS Pro. Wondering if anybody have worked with the FS Pro before. Or if there's any other rigs that would be recommended. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks.

also just curious, how does Basson compare to the glidecam or fs pro.

#2 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

Hi, I need help choosing my first rig. I've used the Glidecam v20 in the past. For my budget, I'm looking for something that ranges from $2000 to about $5000. I plan on flying mostly with the Panasonic HVX200 and the Sony EX1. I would also like to be able to fly 16mm cameras like Arri S and Arri SRII. I did some research for the Glidecam v16 with is about 3900. Then I found the FS Pro. Wondering if anybody have worked with the FS Pro before. Or if there's any other rigs that would be recommended. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks.

Hi there. Ye probably gonna get minimum answers from the guys here. Three things why:

1. Similiar questions exist.
2. These are very low end systems and they cannot waste time trying to explain the ins and outs.
3. Majority of the folks here...have not really tried these system, especially the Basson & Fs Pro.

Well, here is my take on them.

Order of choice:

1. Glidecam ( can be upgraded or heavily modified if you are creactive)
2. Fs pro ( have not tried it but I've read some positive feedbacks from some operators)
3. Basson (but honestly, do not bother with this...if you do not want the headache that comes along with having one)

But reseriously, you can get yourself a flyer for your budget. The arm is one amazing piece of work:

Reviews:

http://homebuiltstab...flyerreview.pdf

Video clip: http://hbsboard.com/...42.html#msg5842

Edited by Charles King, 08 October 2008 - 04:12 AM.

#3 Jim Chu

Jim Chu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • New York City

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, skip all the BS, and get a Flyer - you see used ones that fly 15lbs from time to time - but they go quickly. Super smooth arm, solid construction, easy to use, and basically complete out of the box. Or just save up the money and get a new LE - 24v setup, 19lbs, and a rig you can grow into a bit. This is not something you want to skimp on. And while you are at it, take a 2 day workshop. The tool is useless without the skill set, and starting off with a vet like Peter Abraham showing you the ropes is worth far more than $500 price tag to get you started, at least, before you develop bad habits that you won't be able to shake.

#4 Yousheng Tang

Yousheng Tang

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • New York

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Thank you, Charles and Jim.. you guys gave me valuable advice to think about. For one thing, I'm going to take a workshop. I'm saving up some money for the new Flyer LE. It is not something I want to skimp on. Thanks again.

#5 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Great choice Tang. You won't regret...

Ritter Battery

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems