Photo

Which vest is better the Pilot or Flyer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Giordani

Marco Giordani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

I am looking into a Pilot but I think the Flyer vest is better? I am small framed 5'8" 145 pounds. What do you guys think? Any comments or info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-marco

Edited by Marco Giordani, 25 September 2008 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

I am looking into a Pilot but I think the Flyer vest is better? I am small framed 5'8" 145 pounds. What do you guys think? Any comments or info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-marco

The flyer vest is a step up. But I think that the socket block on the flyer is standard and the pilot is a scaled down size. As for the size they both should fit you fine.

I also think you can only buy the pilot as a kit arm/vest/sled.

email Peter Abraham he has all the answers.

#3 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 385 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

The Pilot and Flyer use the same socket block - a scaled down 1/2" pin, versus the 5/8" pin, which is Steadicam standard. The Pilot vest is wonderful for what it is - lightweight, flexible, easy to adjust for different operators, and easy to pack (I carried it and 2 days worth of clothes in a duffel on a train ride to the workshop I went to!). But, the Pilot vest won't support the kind of weight that the Flyer vest will. A part of the Pilot vest is plastic that is metal on the Flyer vest. It supports the weight of the Pilot rig fine (I've been flying mine fully loaded, and it's still working fine), but the Flyer vest does support more.

As to your small frame, the Pilot vest should support it without too much issue, as I said, it compacts down really small, but for the Pilot vest, you may want to call Peter and ask him about whether or not the Compact Flyer vest is for you. It's designed to fit people who are too small for the Flyer vest.

So, my recommendation for you would be this - If you're going to buy a Pilot, use the Pilot vest. It should fit you. If you're going to buy a Flyer, find out whether you need the Flyer vest or the Compact Flyer vest. Good luck! :)

#4 Marco Giordani

Marco Giordani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

Thanks guys!

I appreciate all your input and comments. :rolleyes:

Teradek

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies