6 replies to this topic

#1 Max M Fuhlendorf

Max M Fuhlendorf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hi.

This is my first post. I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and I'm a student filmmaker. It's been a while since a Steadicam workshop has been offered here.

Here in Brazil, accredited Steadicam operators are rare and highly sought after, or so I'm told. I'm really interested in becoming an operator, so I'd like your input on the choice of workshops to learn the basics.

Which one is the best?

Tiffen's classic workshop, Maine Media Workshops', the SOP workshop?

US$3000 is a very large sum of money here in Brazil, but I'd be willing to pay that for Tiffen's Classic workshop if it's considered the best by the industry. That's because I'm a firm believer in experience over simple training, and any workshop that taught me the basics would be satisfactory, prowess can only come from extensive training. But I don't quite know the job market yet, and if you say workshop X or Y are just as highly regarded by the industry, saving a few pennies would be a huge help: I'll have to spend at least an extra US$2000 on the trip itself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Max M Fuhlendorf

#2 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hi.

This is my first post. I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and I'm a student filmmaker. It's been a while since a Steadicam workshop has been offered here.

Here in Brazil, accredited Steadicam operators are rare and highly sought after, or so I'm told. I'm really interested in becoming an operator, so I'd like your input on the choice of workshops to learn the basics.

Which one is the best?

Tiffen's classic workshop, Maine Media Workshops', the SOP workshop?

US$3000 is a very large sum of money here in Brazil, but I'd be willing to pay that for Tiffen's Classic workshop if it's considered the best by the industry. That's because I'm a firm believer in experience over simple training, and any workshop that taught me the basics would be satisfactory, prowess can only come from extensive training. But I don't quite know the job market yet, and if you say workshop X or Y are just as highly regarded by the industry, saving a few pennies would be a huge help: I'll have to spend at least an extra US$2000 on the trip itself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Max M Fuhlendorf

The tiffen workshop and the SOA workshop both have Jerry Holway as a lead instructor. The gear is all sponsored by Tiffen for both workshops. I'm sure they are similar experiences.

I did the SOA workshop and I've doen Peter Abrahams Flyer workshop. They are both fantastic. I would recomend them to anyone looking.

As for the Maine workshop I believe they are run by Paul Talyor. Again known to be a great workshop with great gear. Paul has an outstanding reputation for running a great show.

As I have been to the SOA workshop and figure the Tiffen one to be pretty much the same. I would say go for one of those. Just pick the one with the cheaper flight. The Tiffen one includes housing and meals. While the SOA includes meals (which are great) and you get a discount on hotel (works out to be about the same).

#3 Max M Fuhlendorf

Max M Fuhlendorf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

The tiffen workshop and the SOA workshop both have Jerry Holway as a lead instructor. The gear is all sponsored by Tiffen for both workshops. I'm sure they are similar experiences.

I did the SOA workshop and I've doen Peter Abrahams Flyer workshop. They are both fantastic. I would recomend them to anyone looking.

As for the Maine workshop I believe they are run by Paul Talyor. Again known to be a great workshop with great gear. Paul has an outstanding reputation for running a great show.

As I have been to the SOA workshop and figure the Tiffen one to be pretty much the same. I would say go for one of those. Just pick the one with the cheaper flight. The Tiffen one includes housing and meals. While the SOA includes meals (which are great) and you get a discount on hotel (works out to be about the same).

Thanks! I'll choose based on convenience, then.

I'm currently trying to sort ou the maze of documents the US embassy is requiring, but I think my student visa should be approved soon...

Edited by Max M Fuhlendorf, 23 September 2008 - 10:44 PM.

#4 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hi Max,

I did the Maine workshop and loved it so much went back for another Master DP course. Paul Taylor and Jim Wells where the instructors. Maine was a really great place to visit (especially during the Lobster Festival... this time of year) and there are many other workshops going on at the same time. This provides a few more opportunities to meet other folks outside the Steadi class.

I also visited the Tiffen workshop in Georgia last year, a bit more secluded (easier to get to from ATL International Airport) and not more than to live and breathe Steadi. Jerry is the lead along with Peter and others. I think the student / instructor ratio is lower with the Tiffen course. Between the seclusion and more instructors... you get more a more steadi experience. Not to mention a few other operators from the area get to come down and hang out for a day also.

Which is better, I would say the one that fits your schedule and pocket the best.

welcome and best of luck

-Alfeo

#5 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

Max-

As you sort out your plans for whatever workshop you wish to attend, realize that there are waiting lists for many of them.

Be sure to secure a spot before you finalize the visa paperwork, book flights, etc.

I'm sure the Tiffen and SOA deposits are 100% refundable if cancellation is made enough ahead of time (check details on the websites, and on the MPW policies).

Also, the SOA or Tiffen may be able to help you with the visa.

Jerry

#6 Kyle Blackman

Kyle Blackman

• Sustaining Members
  • 13 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hey Max,

I just got home from Paul's workshop in Maine last week. Paul, Dave Taylor, and Jim Wells were the 3 instructors. I had a blast! We had 14 students, 5 rigs and all the flying time you could imagine. Actually the gear we used last week (two Ultra 2's, a Clipper, an Archer and a Flyer) is the same gear they will use at the SOA workshop in Philly in a week or two. Some of the gear came from Glendale, some of it came from New York.

I chose Paul's workshop because one of my film school instructors (James Neihouse) in Florida is good friends with Paul and he assured me I would love the class... which I did! Plus I think overall Maine Media Workshops was slightly cheaper, but you will have to factor in an international airline ticket so...???

I hope I didn't make your decision any harder, I just want to let you know I was very happy with me choice. Paul is an awesome teacher as well.

Good Luck and Fly Safe,

Kyle

#7 Ryan Morgan

Ryan Morgan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hey Max

I couldn't agree more with Kyle. I was also at the Maine workshop and it was everything I hoped for and more. I'm sure the SOA workshop would be great as well but the environment and teaching in Maine was second to none. You couldn't go wrong choosing Rockport.

Ryan

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

SkyDreams

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

Boland Communications