• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Mackenzie

Dan Mackenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

I shoot for live television and am looking for a small 2 to 4 inch monitor that i can mount as a permanent program monitor. Anyone know of any models or makes. Preferrably thin and light-weight. And also powering options. Battery etc.

#2 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

Marshal makes a great 3 inch, very bright and sharp, about 400 bucks from B & H. I use this as my Program return.

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

The Ikan V2500 is a 2.5" LCD PAL or NTSC. I think Rob and Kris are using these for program? They cost around $80 USD +/- and I think you can get them from Markertek and other online retailers. The Marshall would probably be a nice unit as well

http://www.ikancorp.com

I'm in the market for smaller program monitor too. Currently I"m using my Camos 7" Directors monitor laying flat velcroed to my monitor rods for program. David Hable at Cramped Attic made me a cable to power it off my sled.

#4 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

I shoot for live television and am looking for a small 2 to 4 inch monitor that i can mount as a permanent program monitor. Anyone know of any models or makes. Preferrably thin and light-weight. And also powering options. Battery etc.

One other pretty cool option is the archos, I've used mine as a return monitor . . .

I have an Ikan as a backup, but what I use is a 3.5 inch Generic LCD, (Screen and Board) with an aluminum housing and one cable that plugs directly into my sled

Jeffs 4" inch Marshal looks like a really great option . . . . . .

#5 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

try Nebtek, they have a great selection.

Nebtek Monitors

Jens

#6 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Nebtek Monitors

Jens

I assume you guys are talking about triax cabled shows.
If you fly wireless, as we do in europe, you cant cable your program lcd, as the wireless camera dasnt have a program feed.
So, i use the casio handheld monitors for program. It has a reciever, so i can feed it using my canatrans. It has also has a video in, so it can be used when your cabled.

It costs around 40 buck, and its good enough

#7 Bryan Trieb SOC

Bryan Trieb SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Los Angeles / Toronto

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hey Job,

How is the reception on those little casio tuners?
I looked at some on the casio website and the models I saw were housed in an awkward way, and I've been told the reception, especially in a studio with lots of bounce isn't the greatest.
Curious to hear your opinion.

I'm considering buying Lentequip's tandem receiver to work with my Canatrans to receive the wireless program return signal and feed it to my existing program return lcd.

http://lentequip.com...cts/tandem.html

#8 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Nebtek Monitors

Jens

If you fly wireless, as we do in europe, you cant cable your program lcd, as the wireless camera dasnt have a program feed.
So, i use the casio handheld monitors for program. It has a reciever, so i can feed it using my canatrans. It has also has a video in, so it can be used when your cabled.

Hey Job,
On "So you think you can Dance" and "Dancing with the Stars" the link system we use has an extra small box we put on the bottom of the sled, Analog receiver that allows us to have return.

No need to transmit yourself

#9 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Nebtek Monitors

Jens

Hey Job,
On "So you think you can Dance" and "Dancing with the Stars" the link system we use has an extra small box we put on the bottom of the sled, Analog receiver that allows us to have return.

No need to transmit yourself

Wow, thats cool. The thompson wireless we use dasnt have any of that. But we het the new HD soon. And it seems to be in there too.

So you think you can dance, haha, we start that in 2 weeks. Any tips?, lol, i know them already. Watch out as the have no clue where the land after a crazy jumpstyle dance.

Later

#10 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

[/quote]

So you think you can dance, haha, we start that in 2 weeks. Any tips?, lol, i know them already. Watch out as the have no clue where the land after a crazy jumpstyle dance.

Later
[/quote]

Bryan is shooting that show as well in Canada, with our American Director . . . . It's pretty easy, just annoying shooting by the number,not my favorite way to shoot choreography just a necessary evil.

Actually one of our Choreographers down here actually bought a little steadicam Pilot to shoot the dancers in rehearsal and then he would down load it to his iPod and show us how he wants it shot at the main show . . .LOL. . .

Have fun

#11 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hi!. Now, TFT monitors, have a function P-in-P (Picture in picture). It is an small window into the screen and two input, one for program signal and other foryour camera signal. Ypu can see your camera signal and in a small window, program signal. My monitor made by Tiffen is "Ultra bright 2". But Transvideo have good products for you.
Good luck.

I´m forever blowing bubbles....

#12 luis castro

luis castro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 245 posts
  • Spain

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:25 AM

Hi!. Now, TFT monitors, have a function P-in-P (Picture in picture). It is an small window into the screen and two input, one for program signal and other foryour camera signal. Ypu can see your camera signal and in a small window, program signal. My monitor made by Tiffen is "Ultra bright 2". But Transvideo have good products for you.
Good luck.

I´m forever blowing bubbles....

is true the monitor ultra 2 is the best .

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems