• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook

• Sustaining Members
  • 22 posts
  • Tampa, Florida

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

Just so everyone knows why I will be asking lots of questions, I am putting together my Steadicam gear again. I have bits a pieces of a lot of things and I am adding to the pile, (Thanks Robert for the BFD remote), so please bear with me.

Thought I was done...but noooo, I'm back and love'n it! OK, enough of that...

My question for today is: I have a J7 zoom control that is not working properly and would like know if it's worth the time and expense to try to get it repaired or should I just use it for a fishing lure?

Second question: If I did try to bring it back to life, where could I sent it for repair?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

Jeff

#2 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hi Jeff,

Hope you're well. I'd go for a Zoe III from Bebob instead - lovely little pressure sensitive zoom rocker, and the latest version auto-senses between 8-pin Canon and Fuji. The J7s were okay, I have one myself - however it depends on which type you have - IIRC, the original batch had no speed control built into them / weren't pressure sensitive, so you needed to adjust the pot on the lens servo itself to control speed (newer versions of the J7 fixed this problem, again IIRC).

#3 Stanislaw Marcinkowski

Stanislaw Marcinkowski
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

Hi
I find some information about J7 zoom focus combo, which control both of them, but I can't find in Internet pictures, how it's look. I think it's good for me (I don't work with focus puller yet, so I don't need wireless system), but Anthony Graham wrote that it's not possible to buy combo:
http://www.steadicam...bal mount focus
Can I purchase J7 combo nowadays with pressure sensitive zoom control dedicated to Fujinon 8-pin lenses and where can I find more info about this product?
I also find accessories list by Tiffen:
http://www.steadicam...Accessories.pdf
There's many kind of J7, what're differences between each other? Why there're focus control for every type of lens, despite servo is needed?
Could anyone help me to answer all this questions?

Best regards
Stanislaw Marcinkowski
www.std24.pl

#4 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

....not to get off topic here, but I just got a hankerin' for some Doublemint Gum.

#5 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

....not to get off topic here, but I just got a hankerin' for some Doublemint Gum.

Yeah, it is minty and refreshing. Your twin also looks a lot like Jerry Hill

#6 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

Hi Jason

"the original batch had no speed control built into them / weren't pressure sensitive, so you needed to adjust the pot on the lens servo itself to control speed (newer versions of the J7 fixed this problem,"

To my knowledge all J-7s had pressure sensitive sprung potentiometers for speed control. The difference between the two basic versions were pin-out compatability with Canon and Fuji.

Biggest problem was centering drift, at Optex we used to drill a small hole through the legend plate on the end ot the lever part so that you could access the trim control (the end og the pot shaft) without dismantling the unit.

Robin

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Teradek

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams