2 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Norton

Shane Norton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hello all,

I am a beginner steadicam operator who has come to this board quite often for research in the last several months. I operate a Clipper 312 with a G-50 arm and ran into an issue the other day at work.

Here's the story:

Wanting to make an adjustment to my vest, I went over to my C-stand to rest the camera. I placed the sled into the clamp and began to bow to the C-stand. As the stand began to take the weight I heard a lound "ping" sound. Kind of hard to describe, but it sounded like a spring. This obviously worried me, but as I looked over the arm I could not see that anything was wrong.

To test, I reconnected the arm and sled and lifted the camera (very cautiously). The arm lifted the weight, and held it at a much higher level than it had been. Slowly, I boomed all the weight down and suddenly to noticed the lower lift knob pop upwards. At this point I put all the weight back onto the C-stand to analyze the knob.

The lift knob was very loose. It seemed to have slipped out of it's threading. A few of us tried to play around a bit and see if we could fix it. We screwed the knob back into it's hole with the U-wrech, but we could not seem to get it to operate properly.

Our supervisor is in talks with Peter Abraham about this issue at the moment, but I was curious if anybody here had ever heard of something similar taking place. Many of you seem to have about a million years more experience then me at this point so I would love to hear from any of you.

Thanks for your time.

-Shane

Edited by Shane Norton, 11 September 2008 - 07:00 AM.

#2 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

I've been on it, with his client, for a day or so. Will have firm answers once we have examined the G-50 arm in Glendale at the factory !

Best to all,

Peter Abraham
Dir. Technical Services,
The Tiffen Company / Steadicam

#3 Shane Norton

Shane Norton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

I've been on it, with his client, for a day or so. Will have firm answers once we have examined the G-50 arm in Glendale at the factory !

Best to all,

Peter Abraham
Dir. Technical Services,
The Tiffen Company / Steadicam

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the response. I'm sure Chris has probably let you know, but it seems we may have been able to fix the issue in-house. If any other issues come about we will let you know.

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

IDX