• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Blackman

Kyle Blackman

• Sustaining Members
  • 13 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of... been to... or plan on attending the steadicam workshop at Rockport College in Maine taught by Paul Taylor?

I am flying up there in a little over a week for the September class and I'm extremely excited.

Any thought?

#2 Emre Tufekci

Emre Tufekci

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hi Kyle,

I had private tuition from Paul many years ago and have been to other workshops in Rockport many times. First off I think you will have a blast with Paul, he is a great instructor and operator.

A few tips:

-Always keep in mind that when he gets firm about the proper execution of a certain technique he is trying to get your motor skills to turn into muscle memory, which will benefit your career for many years to come.

-Do not do anything that he does not instruct or supervise for you to do, like running or step offs.

-Wear, dark comfortable clothes with very solid grip shoes.

-Before you leave goto: www.steadishots.org and watch a lot of scenes. When you return goto: www.steadishots.org and watch a lot of scenes.

-No Pain no gain does not work for steadicam. You can expect your lower back to get sore but if there is pain....STOP!!!

-Rockport can get rainy, have rain gear with you.

-Don?t just stick with the larger rigs, a clipper or an ultra might be heavier but because of their mass they are more stable. You will find that a flyer will be a lot more harder to control due to its light weight, not as many options as the bigger rigs for static/dynamic balance and is effected by external elements a lot easier then the its bigger brothers. It's great for practice and honing your skills.

-You learn a lot in the workshops from other peoples mistakes, watch very carefully when other people are operating. Listen to how Paul corrects them.

-Paul usually does a long shot in the middle of the week where he choreographs a large scene (last year it was the re-creation of bjorks music video.) I would volunteer first as usually only one person gets to shoot that.

Hope this helps, enjoy your week.

#3 Kyle Blackman

Kyle Blackman

• Sustaining Members
  • 13 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hey thanks a lot Emre!

I really appreciate all the helpful tips and I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself in the past and that Paul is a good guy.

I know I will have a blast and will probably tell everyone here about it when I get back.

#4 dash adamson

dash adamson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • baltimore MD

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

the rockport class is great! the team of instructors that Paul has assembled is topnotch and you will learn a lot.

Here is the video my workshop did for the Friday night screening,Rockport stedi video

#5 Beau Chaput

Beau Chaput

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 30 posts
  • USA

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

Was there is 98 to take the Doug Hart Camera Assistant Course and returned in 2006 for the steadicam workshop with Paul. Its a beautiful little town and the instruction was very good. Long Days of flying the whole tiffen line, and some good bars at night, including ping pong. I wouldnt bring my gear with me if I were to do it over, cause I absolutely didn't need it! Its a good reasonably priced course, and Paul is a class act with lots of experience. I made a list of questions or things I wanted to here about and checked em off. Beau

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems