5 replies to this topic

#1 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

I recently purchased a used modulus 2000 and boy does that thing get hot. So the question is, will running it for extended periods of time hurt it? Should I try to turn it off between takes or let it heat the room?

~Jess

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

I usually turn mine off as often as I can, but it drives the village crazy not to have a picture (even if it's of the back of a set wall). I imagine it will prolong the life giving it a small break every so often. A switch is easier/cheaper to replace than a cooked unit that nobody (?) fixes anymore.

#3 David Williams

David Williams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • melb.com.au

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

I imagine it will prolong the life giving it a small break every so often.

I wouldn't be sure about that? Heat cycles are what usually kill things, as long as they can handle the running temperature normally. Expansion and contraction. You might be better off putting some heat sinks on it and leaving it on?

#4 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

"You might be better off putting some heat sinks on it and leaving it on?"

And that is what they did for the 3000, but then again they tripled the wattage so it still gets hot enough to fry an egg on.

#5 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

I had my 3000 for... 7 or 8 years? I never turned it off and usually had it sitting on top of my preston (which also gets hot as shit). Not to mention, a good chunk of my work is on the beach in Miami which is also hot as shit.

I have zero tecnical knowledge but from my limited experience (limited because I have only used one modulus) its cool with getting hot, pun intended.

mm.

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:45 AM

I must be lucky then -- my 2000 is still working (since '94). These things get so hot if you leave them on they'll melt the velcro that holds them to the camera and leave grill marks on you if you touch it. Most sets I've been on recently use the canatrans -- they get really hot as well. I miss the good old days when you just flipped a switch to turn it on/off and it didn't cost as much as a dbox3 (the little heartbeat is cute though).

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Teradek

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions