17 replies to this topic

#1 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:53 AM

Lots of shots of steadicam operators in this summer's olympic coverage. Not a lot of steadicam shots...

anybody know who's lucky enough to be out there? none of the guys appear to be wearing Movcam gear, so the operators seem to be imported from elsewhere.

Dave "women's beach volleyball" Baldwin

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:24 AM

Lots of shots of steadicam operators in this summer's olympic coverage. Not a lot of steadicam shots...

anybody know who's lucky enough to be out there? none of the guys appear to be wearing Movcam gear, so the operators seem to be imported from elsewhere.

Dave "women's beach volleyball" Baldwin

According info from Louis, Norbert is there :
http://www.steadicam...hp?recordID=318
I have seen some width shots from above (skycam) at the wall with cycling and looking at the Sled (master) and remember this photo it is indeed Norbert. Other Steadicam dudes during swimming, don't know who that is, only that it looked like a Ultra 1 Sled..

So, 1 op.. don't know the rest.. ;)

#3 Mike Marriage

Mike Marriage

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

The Skycam (I guess) at the rowing is worth checking out. Really adds to the coverage.

And you might actually see team GB win some medals too ;)

Edited by Mike Marriage, 14 August 2008 - 04:36 AM.

#4 John Pappas

John Pappas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:52 AM

Hi Guys,

All aquatics are being done by an Australian crew provided to BOB by Seven Network Australia.
Steadicam Operators include Glenn Steer, Toby Hogan etc.

The usual suspects at NBC are here as well eg Joe De Bonis.

The Rowing 'Skycam' is actually a Flycam, being run by Dane Clarke from FlyCam Australia. It includes a new, nice and light 5 way gyro head.

Cheers,

John Pappas
(in Beijing)

#5 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:42 AM

You can constantly see the Steadicam op during the swimming events. I'd be curious to know what the thinking was regarding where to use Steadicam in the coverage. In my opinion, the fellow would be better used over at the gymnastics events where the athletes are at least walking around the gym, doing their floor routines, whatever. The swimming "Steadicam" shots, turn out to be nothing more than brief little moves around a swimmer standing at the end of the pool. I also have to imagine that poolside is not the surest of footings. I'm sure they'll put it to much better use once the track & field events begin.

#6 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

Hey John,
Say Hi to Dane Clarke, Joe DeBonis and Tori Levia . . . for me while your there.

Since I am not there this year . . .I am kinda missing it . . .but happy to be home

So Swimming, Ya it's definitely annoying seeing the steadicam come through the intro shots but they are not using the steadicam feed all the time and that is because, the world feed has the Steadicam Operators and the world feed director is calling those shots . . . . .The NBC Director. . . .has the feeds from those steadicams but can't talk to those operators, so when we actually see a shot from steadicam it's on a leap of faith that the operator isn't going to pan off into the cieling or something.

At least when I was there for the past 4 Olympics thats how it worked and the NBC directors get really frustrated having the cameras but can't use the cameras . . . . .You'll see a much different show after they repackage it and edit in all the shots they couldn't take during the live coverage.

#7 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

The mustache is all over the swimming events. Good to know why they don't ever cut to him.

I agree that it would be better served to have had steadi at any number of other venues. Judo, wrestling, boxing, volley ball, gymnastics etc.

The track events should make for a ton on steadi.

#8 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

I was watching the swimming last night and there was a period of time where it was becoming rather amusing because the steadicam operator kept walking into the background of the shot and then they would immediatly cut to another shot, then he would walk into that shot and it happened for something like 5 shots in a row. Didn't see a single steadicam shot but sure saw a lot of him :-)

~Jess

#9 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 215 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

Yep thats Glen. Definantly not camera shy. They generally use his shots when the swimmers are heading out to the blocks before the race and he tracks along with them. After the race however, he does tend to get into others shots.

Ive seen shots of him on the front page of Aussie newspapers, sneeking into the background with your swimmers when they are celebrating a medal.

JP

#10 Norbert von der Heidt

Norbert von der Heidt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi All

I'm in Beijing doing Cycling Road Races, Cycle Time Trials, Triathlon and Marathon. I have to admit I've been less than thrilled about how I've been utilized so far. On the Time Trials, they had me holding a shot of the top 5 riders sitting in the holding area,...hey, ever heard of a tripod???

I'm hoping it'll get better on the Triathlon but in the meantime here are some other pics.

Cheers
Norber

Attached Files

#11 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hi All

I'm in Beijing doing Cycling Road Races, Cycle Time Trials, Triathlon and Marathon. I have to admit I've been less than thrilled about how I've been utilized so far. On the Time Trials, they had me holding a shot of the top 5 riders sitting in the holding area,...hey, ever heard of a tripod???

I'm hoping it'll get better on the Triathlon but in the meantime here are some other pics.

Cheers
Norber

Hey Norbert,
nope, you are not a tripod but it was a nice shot (i watched it live because of Geesink, the dutch orange guy in the middle :D )
I think i saw that day also a ┬┤tripod look a like shot┬┤ during the podium ceremony of the time trial, a shot from the Flags..

Must be cool, celebrating your birthday at the olympics.., keep up the good work Norbert, a lifetime experience !

Best, Erik

#12 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

Great stuff Norbert, will look out for you.

#13 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hey you Ausies tell Glenn Steer, he's almost as famous as Phelps over here in the states . . . . he's in pretty much every shot . . .LOL . . . .

I can't tell you how many people have asked me, "how come that guy is in all of the intro shots" and why aren't they taking him so we can see his shots? . . .LOL . . .

Glenn you are now known here in the States as the mustached mystery steadicam guy at swimming . . . . .

all the best,

we are all glad you didn't end up at the bottom of the pool . . . .speaking from experience it's really NOT fun

nice work BTW what we did see of your stuff

#14 Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

Hi Guys,

Thought i would throw some info your way to clear a few things up.
I worked on the Aquatics coverage in Beijing for Bob (world feed), full Australian crew who have done it since Sydney 2000.
I wasn't doing steadicam (another story$$) i operated the exteme slomo on the swimming and diving, something different than having my rig on!!
The Steady op everyone saw was Glen Steer, senior cam op form Seven Network Sydney, obvisouly you guys saw alot more of him than you should have because you were watching the Nbc cut not the clean feed from the world feed truck which i can assure you, was clean. Thats the risk you take when you cut your own coverage.
Might clear things up a bit.

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers

Matty

#15 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Attached File  me_on_snowmobile_copy_2.jpg   198.66KB   51 downloads
I had to share this, Norway Winter games 1994, -8 degrees F. (I think my hand froze to the gimbal) I was soft mounted to a snow mobile to proceed cross country skiing with the Olympic flame, then got off to bring em in to the stadium. My Focus puller had his own snow mobile riding next to me, those were the days... Watching the Games from China bring back lots of great memories, its an amazing experience!

Jeff (still frozen) Muhlstock

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

IDX

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers