• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hi, looking into investing in an Archer. To Archer owners, just wondering how much over the 23 pound specified limit anyone has ventured?

#2 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hi, looking into investing in an Archer. To Archer owners, just wondering how much over the 23 pound specified limit anyone has ventured?

Not sure how far you can push the archer.

But I'll tell you what for the price difference between the archer and clipper 312. You get a much better rig in the clipper. Better post, topstage (holds 35+pounds), vest and the gimbal can't even be compaired. You will never regret stretching alittle further to get the clipper 312.

I think someone on here or the SOA site is selling the clipper2 which is about a year old. That's something else worth looking at. I believe its a 12to24volt version.

The archer isn't bad, especially since your getting a g50 arm. But you know what the clipper is going to give you a lot more rig.

#3 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

I've had 16 kgs. Lars-Eric has had, I think, almost 18 kgs. No gimbal problems so far with this load, and none anticipated. Obviously, you have to add bottom weight to balance the thing, as the post can only be extended so far. Search the Archives for more info on this. I find a spare battery and gaffer tape quite sufficient, but there are more elegant solutions. Mikko Wilson hand-made a battery bracket, and Hofman has a retrofit base available.

Chris

#4 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:02 AM

Wow! Thats in Clipper territory, and then some!

#5 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hi Nick,

It's really G-50 territory. If you use a G-70 with the Clipper, you could expect to carry more.

Tiffen is, of course, right in its recommended weight ranges. While you can push any rig, if you are expecting to consistently fly 18 kg, you should consider a rig that is designed for that purpose.

Have fun whatever,

Chris

#6 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info Chris btw that hofman mod looks brilliant.

#7 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

But I'll tell you what for the price difference between the archer and clipper 312. You get a much better rig in the clipper. Better post, topstage (holds 35+pounds), vest and the gimbal can't even be compaired. You will never regret stretching alittle further to get the clipper 312.

I demoed for Steadicam at NAB and I was VERY impressed with the Clippers. The gimbal is near to the Ultra and the vest... can't remember if its the same or not... too many hangovers in Vegas.

The only thing to watch for is the top stage is a bit narrower than the ultra and that's really your your only down fall for trying to fly larger rigs. the 24v version (Clipper 324) is also switchable to 12v and with the upgraded Ultra Bright HD monitor your in business. It's made to fly your HD ENG style cameras and smaller 35mm in their lightest configurations. We had the Sony XD cam on one and a Moviecam Compact on the other (with out all the trimings... i.e. focus units and transmitters, matte box.)

I think someone on here or the SOA site is selling the clipper2 which is about a year old. That's something else worth looking at. I believe its a 12to24volt version.

The archer isn't bad, especially since your getting a g50 arm. But you know what the clipper is going to give you a lot more rig.

I really liked the Archer, which we put a 435 on, but the Clippers felt more like my Ultra 2.

Hi Nick,

It's really G-50 territory. If you use a G-70 with the Clipper, you could expect to carry more.

Tiffen is, of course, right in its recommended weight ranges. While you can push any rig, if you are expecting to consistently fly 18 kg, you should consider a rig that is designed for that purpose.

Have fun whatever,

Chris

Very much so... but again watch out for the top stage. Don't want the camera's weight to snap off with the smaller foot print.

Hey Chris, do you know if the Clipper and Archer the same width on top?

-Alfeo

#8 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hey Chris, do you know if the Clipper and Archer the same width on top?
-Alfeo

I can't remember, Alfeo, but I do know that the Clipper stage is way strong enough for anything you can put on it. That's why the Ultra is called the Ultra!

All the best,

Chris

#9 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 220 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:37 AM

I think the only real problem with overloading a rig is, if you do break it and your insurance company asks awkward questions, there's a fair chance your claim will get rejected because you knowingly overloaded your rig.

It's unlikely but its a hell of a risk to take with $30-50K of kit.

#10 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

http://www.steadicam...amp;#entry37777

check out the clipper2 that is being sold. Its a few grand more than the base price on a archer (depending on the package).

For the extra dough your getting a rig with a lot more to offer. Higher weight range on sled. 12 24 volts. Lots of extra acc's you would will need to purchase to get the rig up and running.

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems