Photo

As anyone seen the new Scorpio Hand Unit?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 281 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hi to all,

Just wanted to get a bit of light from anyone who would have been in contact with the new Scorpio hand unit supposely presented at CineGear...
What are the big new features? I heard rumors of a screen showing the info of the prime "LDS" style...
And possibility to have a video feed to the unit...
Anyone with a picture? or just plain explanations and some details?

I asked about this new toy to Service vision and they answered the new units would ship by the end of the year....

Anyone...anyone?

Frederic "Bueller" Chamberland

Posted Image

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

Just wanted to get a bit of light from anyone who would have been in contact with the new Scorpio hand unit supposely presented at CineGear...
What are the big new features? I heard rumors of a screen showing the info of the prime "LDS" style...
And possibility to have a video feed to the unit...
Anyone with a picture? or just plain explanations and some details?

I asked about this new toy to Service vision and they answered the new units would ship by the end of the year....

I talked to Pedro at CineGear. They were not showing the unit at that time.

Yes it will read LDS data and present a a DoF display on it's 4" monitor. Now here's where Pedor's english and my trouble with accents make things get a little tricky. According to him you will be able to have the video taps image on the screen and from what he said that will be transmitted "in the data Stream" which I find hard to believe.

It is supposed to be backwards compatible with the older Scorpios. But it will require that the older units have the new Radio's in them.

He said is that current owners would be given a price break so they could upgrade to the new hand unit.

With the new radios and the updated software you can have three hand units talking with one MDR or one hand unit with three MDR's

Pedro also told me that it would be the end of the year, maybe november when it will be out.

#3 Matias Mesa

Matias Mesa

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 123 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

I just bought one, and I will have delivery by the end of this week. Its a great system, very powerfull motors and its great to have a a wireless RCU. Pedro from Servicevision told me that the new unit wil be backwards compatible with all the Scorpio focus systems, all you have to do is buy the new hand unit and upgrade the software on the MDB. The only flaw that I can find in this system is that it has too many function for very few buttons and a very small display. to acces severall functions you have to gi through several steps, but I guess is just a matter of getting used to it. And of course, I think the new one will be much more user friendly.

Best.

Matias

#4 Guido Lux

Guido Lux

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Munich/Germany

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:32 AM

I have the "older" system and I'm very happy with it! But then again...if there's a good offer to upgrade...! Does anyone have any pictures of the new display or the whole handunit?? I'd appreciate it!

Guido "always looking for new gadgets" Lux

#5 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 281 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:16 PM

Hi Guido,

Just bought the Scorpio unit (present model) too and should receive it by the end of the week. The new and improved hand unit will ship in December/January.
I will keep you posted since I already am on the waiting list for the new one.

No pictures, no images.. just like waiting for christmas.

#6 Guido Lux

Guido Lux

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Munich/Germany

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:57 PM

Thanx Fred,

but I always found very hard to wait til x-mas!I wrote Pedro yesterday and I'm very curious what he tells me! Maybe I can get some "inside info"...! If so, u'll will be the first to know!
So lets keep us up to date!

Guido "still lookin' for new toys and can't wait" Lux

#7 jmfocuspuller

jmfocuspuller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

hi fellows
i just used it last july in spain for a car comercial it's a great toy, i tried to have pedro (man of the year) thrue th phone but he is actualy in L.A good luck to catch the guy.
I used one without lcd video screen but servicevision is doing a great job in barcelona!!! chek their website : www.servicevisionsystem.com

#8 jmfocuspuller

jmfocuspuller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:48 AM

i forgot, at what price did you buy yours i heard about around 4000 ? wich should be around 3000 bucks? is that correct?

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Wireless Video Systems