• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike and Nancy Flynn

Mike and Nancy Flynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Today, we have servo-remote follow focus devices - But how was this handled before these devices were available or did these devices exist in 1977 when Bound for Glory was shot?

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2225 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hopefully GB will chime in on this, but my memory from the historical pix is that no remote focus was used on Bound for Glory, and there is a follow focus knob visible on the 2C as used on Marathon Man. GB's article on "The Shining" refers to them using the brand-new WRC3 wireless system from CP (which was my first focus unit too, not that I have any fond memories of that!). I would imagine somewhere inbetween there was a wired system in use--the Panaglide was equipped with one--but barring that, they just set the focus for the hyperfocal and used depth of field to carry a given shot. Still possible today with 2/3" video and 16mm for certain shots, and a no-brainer for the little 1/3 cameras.

#3 Mike and Nancy Flynn

Mike and Nancy Flynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, Charles! Very helpful!

I have since checked over at SteadiShots and looked at GB's comments on the Bound for Glory shot and he mentioned there that he stayed on the set for a few weeks after his crane step-off shot but that they could not use the "contraption" very much because of a lack of focus pulling ability.

#4 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 501 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

In my days of prowling the storage spaces of Cinema Products in order to avoid work I stumbled across an early photo of a focus puller using a wired focus control that was cabled to the back of the operator's vest. I have no info on when or where this was, but it looked like it was in the very early pre-WRC3 days. I do remember the rig was a very early model, probably a model 1.

BTW, I have a non-functional WRC-3 handset I use to wow newbies and induce PTSD in old timers.

Jim "pardon me while I whip this out" Bartell

#5 Mike and Nancy Flynn

Mike and Nancy Flynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

In my days of prowling the storage spaces of Cinema Products in order to avoid work I stumbled across an early photo of a focus puller using a wired focus control that was cabled to the back of the operator's vest. I have no info on when or where this was, but it looked like it was in the very early pre-WRC3 days. I do remember the rig was a very early model, probably a model 1.

BTW, I have a non-functional WRC-3 handset I use to wow newbies and induce PTSD in old timers.

Jim "pardon me while I whip this out" Bartell

You worked at CP years ago? You probably knew my ex-wife then - around 1980 or so...

#6 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 501 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Sorry, off by a decade. I didn't start until 1990.

Jim "missed it by that much" Bartell

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies