#1 Kenn Ferro

Kenn Ferro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • California

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hello all,
I know it has been a long time since I posted here, but I try not to jump in unless I have something to contribute to the craft. I don't shill for anyone, I tell my story. I just wanted to relate my experiences over the last 11 or so months using the powercubes on a PRO sled. First, a little background, I have been the owner of a PRO sled since 1995 (with many upgrades). It has been a very rugged and largely trouble-free unit - no surprise there. It is my fourth sled and I beat the hell outta them. Anyway, like many of you I have been looking for a replacement for the chocolate bar star pro batts. I was not in love with Anton Bauer system for a variety of reasons. So I was casting about for something else. My friend Peter Abraham at Tiffen told me about the new powercubes. He said they were pretty amazing. Now I trust Peter to be honest with me. Yet I didn't want to spend dough on something that wasn't gonna work on a 435 in the cold. So I decided to go about this semi-scientifically. I figured operators would be the absolute wrong person to ask as a rule because we are so busy putting out other fires on set. Sometimes the batteries get changed without our knowledge (rare) and more often then not we find our rigs turned on by someone accidently to check the dial and then left on till the batts are flat. So I figured why not ask the loaders and seconds which operators had the fewest battery changes consistently on a show. I didn't ask them about chemistry or brands just names of ops. It then took only small amount of research and phone calls to figure what people were using. It seemed from my limited study, that the operators with powercubes, not the plain idx style brick had the fewest battery changes. Not an iron clad study by any stretch, but still enough at that point to commit to the purchase.

So I bit, and I have to say I have only positive stuff to say about the batteries. They have moved into the same realm as my Preston, they just work. The following example is typical of my experience with the batteries the I was shooting a commercial on the beach with the 435. Everything was at 96fps and I made sure my batts were hot and in the bag before we marched in the sand to the most difficult and remote spot (even the gators couldn't get there). We shot the whole day, take after take and mag after mag. Just before the sun was about to drop I turned to second and said, "Make sure we have a fresh batts nearby I don't wanna have them on the chargers miles from us when the panic hour hits." He told me that we hadn't changed the batts all day and the still have 2/3 charge on them. All the backups were still unused. So we finished the day with the same batts we started with.
That is not unusual although sometimes I will do a change out after lunch just to be safe. But always, I get great life from them. I do baby them more then i did the chocolate bars, its kinda like owning a prius, i just wanna see how far the will go on a full charge. But when it is a gnarly day with a psychotic director the batteries are not the the delay I can run them hard and have no problems. If anyone is interested I can post pictures on the mod to my rig. Oh and yes it still spins flat.
Hope this is some use to someone out there.
Regards,
KF

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

hi Kenn,
long time. I'd love to see pics of these batts on your sled.

Ron B

#3 Andrey Yazydzhi

Andrey Yazydzhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Moscou

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Good morning Kenn !
I'd like to see pics of these batts on your sled too.

Andrey Yazydzhi ,
yazydzhi@mail.ru ,
yazydzhifilms.com,
+7 903 7406481,

#4 Kenn Ferro

Kenn Ferro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • California

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hi Ron,
It has been a long time! Good to hear your still around :). Sorry I haven't posted these sooner have been on a show but here are the pictures.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:27 AM

Very Nice Kenn,

Did you fabricate the double IDX mount yourself? If not where did it come from, if so where did you get the parts?

IAIN BAIRD

#6 Kenn Ferro

Kenn Ferro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • California

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Very Nice Kenn,

Did you fabricate the double IDX mount yourself? If not where did it come from, if so where did you get the parts?

IAIN BAIRD

Hi Iain,
I designed it on the back of a napkin and had a friend with a cnc router make it for me out of hdpe. It is basically a spacer for two stock IDX plates. It is very rigid. If there is interest I could see if he would make a batch of them.
Regards,
Kenn

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions