9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

After some research on this web forum I?ve decided a flyer would be best for me to get. I have a DVX100B now but want to be able to fly something heavier later. I?ll need to save a little longer though and may not be able to get the battery and charger in the same month. I guess I could practice with a homemade weight at first.

Below is the Flyer model and battery I was thinking about.
I live in Oklahoma and was planning to go to the workshop listed also.

I called Tiffen and ordered the "DVD-200504 General Purpose Steadicam Instructional Video" over a week ago they're a little slow or maybe I should call back to confirme.

Steadicam F24LEVLNNS Flyer24-LE Camera Stabilizer System
V-Mount Battery Compatible Compact Vest Iso-Elastic Stabilizer Arm 12 to 24 VDC Switchable Power Mfr# F24LEVLNNS B&H# STF24LEVMCV

IDXEC-7S Portable Endura Charger Kit - Single Channel Charger, E-7S Battery
Mfr# EC7S B&H# IDEC7S B&H Kit

December 5-6. Chicago Flyer / Pilot Workshop.
Hosted by Calumet Photographic.
1111 N. Cherry Avenue, Chicago, IL 60622
Note: This workshop is held on Friday and Saturday.

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

I'd recommend against purchasing the F24 flyer. It's double the price of the 12v Flyer because it comes with an HD monitor. But why spend that much when all you really wanted was the 24v capability? You can have a 12v Flyer modified for less than $500. I'm looking in to how this affects the warranty, also why I haven't modified mine yet.

And then think about how often you'll use that 24v. You'll never use it for your DVX, that'll be on-board batteries. And for ANY other digital camera that you can fit on your rig you will either be using on board batteries like your DVX, or powering just fine off of the 12v on the sled. The Arri SR3, 235, and 416 are 24v, though the latter two fit with an on-board battery just fine. Without the battery of course you can fit more accessories. The SR3 gets a bit heavy with just a lens and a loaded mag. But again, the vast majority of your work is going to be with digital cameras, so before that warranty runs out, 12v is going to be the name of the game.

The only possible exceptions I can think of are the Phantom and the Red One (and next year more Reds). I don't know enough about either to say one way or the other, but the Phantom is not likely to be a common occurrence for you, nor possibly the Red One in Oklahoma.

And yes, that Flyer workshop will do ya wonders. Peter is a great instructor and all around fun guy. You'll learn a lot in those two days. Also, he often sells the workshop flyers for a discounted price. And the rigs are in great shape.

Brian |-)~

#3 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'd recommend against purchasing the F24 flyer. It's double the price of the 12v Flyer because it comes with an HD monitor. But why spend that much when all you really wanted was the 24v capability? You can have a 12v Flyer modified for less than $500. I'm looking in to how this affects the warranty, also why I haven't modified mine yet.

And then think about how often you'll use that 24v. You'll never use it for your DVX, that'll be on-board batteries. And for ANY other digital camera that you can fit on your rig you will either be using on board batteries like your DVX, or powering just fine off of the 12v on the sled. The Arri SR3, 235, and 416 are 24v, though the latter two fit with an on-board battery just fine. Without the battery of course you can fit more accessories. The SR3 gets a bit heavy with just a lens and a loaded mag. But again, the vast majority of your work is going to be with digital cameras, so before that warranty runs out, 12v is going to be the name of the game.

The only possible exceptions I can think of are the Phantom and the Red One (and next year more Reds). I don't know enough about either to say one way or the other, but the Phantom is not likely to be a common occurrence for you, nor possibly the Red One in Oklahoma.

And yes, that Flyer workshop will do ya wonders. Peter is a great instructor and all around fun guy. You'll learn a lot in those two days. Also, he often sells the workshop flyers for a discounted price. And the rigs are in great shape.

Brian |-)~

I didn't notice any only 12 volt flyers the one I was considering is $7500 with V mount but without bateries.
got the steadicam dvd today

#4 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:21 PM

All new models of the Flyer are 24V.

The RED is 12V not 24V.

#5 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

thanks Alec, I wasn't sure about the Red, and wow did I ever buy at the wrong time... I wonder if they'd swap out electronics for me...

Brian |-)~

#6 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:58 AM

thanks Alec, I wasn't sure about the Red, and wow did I ever buy at the wrong time... I wonder if they'd swap out electronics for me...

Brian |-)~

I forgot to ask for suggestions in the first post which is what I need. Do you think any local (Tulsa OK)production companys would want a video steadicam operator for industrial and conporate videos?
I know I won't be an operator just because I own one, but I'll practice and make portfolio videos to show how good or poorly I'm progressing.

Thanks for any help and patience for a "new Steadi-Newbie"

#7 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Brian |-)~

I forgot to ask for suggestions in the first post which is what I need. Do you think any local (Tulsa OK)production companys would want a video steadicam operator for industrial and conporate videos?
I know I won't be an operator just because I own one, but I'll practice and make portfolio videos to show how good or poorly I'm progressing.

Hey Andy.....
as you read and quoted, you won't be an operator just because you bought a rig, but that's not say your not going to be fantastic operator.

Your question regarding clients is a double edge sword, yes there may be Corp. Clients that would use a steadicam but if your not already shooting with those clients as a regular camera op, then there's no way to introduce the steadi. I guess the bottom line is most of us already had a client base and years of experience doing camera before we decided to purchase our own rig, some even years of experience operating a rig and still have never bought their own rig.

I don't know if you operate alot on Corp. Shoots or at all or what kind of shoots.

At least your asking and hopefully you will be flying your new rig proficiently and getting all kinds of new clients

Good Luck

#8 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

Brian |-)~

Hey Andy.....
as you read and quoted, you won't be an operator just because you bought a rig, but that's not say your not going to be fantastic operator.

Your question regarding clients is a double edge sword, yes there may be Corp. Clients that would use a steadicam but if your not already shooting with those clients as a regular camera op, then there's no way to introduce the steadi. I guess the bottom line is most of us already had a client base and years of experience doing camera before we decided to purchase our own rig, some even years of experience operating a rig and still have never bought their own rig.

I don't know if you operate alot on Corp. Shoots or at all or what kind of shoots.

At least your asking and hopefully you will be flying your new rig proficiently and getting all kinds of new clients

Good Luck

Thanks for the input, I havn't worked for awhile and planned to get an associates in digital video after working as a photographer on the Mississippi gulf coast and Katrina wiped me out. I got enough insurance and money from FEMA to plan a new career. Wanting to work as contractor type for local production companys if I can. I think that I've learned video is what alot of that is done with.
I did alot of wedding photography befor but am hoping to never have to do it again.

By the way here's some links to some low cost steadicams even a free one :lol:

This one has "Fancy New Pictures"

High Tech Vest

It's Free!

#9 Mike Wilkinson

Mike Wilkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

December 5-6. Chicago Flyer / Pilot Workshop.
Hosted by Calumet Photographic.
1111 N. Cherry Avenue, Chicago, IL 60622
Note: This workshop is held on Friday and Saturday.

If you registered for that I may see you there? I just became the proud new owner of a Pilot rig for an HVX.

Oh and I hear ya on the wedding videos.... I did them for about 3 years and this last Saturday did my last one, and was able to get out of 8 bookings in 2009. I can't stand going to weddings anymore... they are not for me.

#10 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 348 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

Brian |-)~

Hey Andy.....

Good Luck

Thanks for the input, I havn't worked for awhile and planned to get an associates in digital video after working as a photographer on the Mississippi gulf coast and Katrina wiped me out. I got enough insurance and money from FEMA to plan a new career. Wanting to work as contractor type for local production companys if I can. I think that I've learned video is what alot of that is done with.
I did alot of wedding photography befor but am hoping to never have to do it again.

By the way here's some links to some low cost steadicams even a free one :lol:

This one has "Fancy New Pictures"

High Tech Vest

It's Free!

Oh Brother...you'll be much better off with the Flyer than the dudes in those links with their pipes and flying tripods.

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Teradek

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC