6 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

I'd like to get a Flyer instead of a Pilot if I'm able. I've searched and read the other posts about compact and regular vests but didn't find a reccomendation I need.
I'm about 5'6 1/2" , 150Lbs. and 32" waist. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Visit My Website

#2 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hi Andy I'm about your hight and have used the Flyer, I'd go for the compact vest.

#3 Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Tulsa Oklahoma

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hi Andy I'm about your hight and have used the Flyer, I'd go for the compact vest.

Thank you very much.
It's hard to wait but I think I'll save up a month or two more to get the flyer instead of the pilot.

#4 Bob Woodhead

Bob Woodhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

My Flyer arrives Monday... yeaaaa.

Anyway, call Steadicam & ask - I did... I'm 5'8, 195 and they suggested the regular, as the compact is designed for small-framed bodies, especially women.

#5 Peter Hoare

Peter Hoare

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 360 posts
  • London

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Im quite a big person (6'3 and big in most other directions) and the standard Flyer vest is too small for me. I do fine with the ultra vest, just wondering if theres a bigger than standard one...?

#6 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 385 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

When I did my workshop, I had the same problem as you Peter - in fact, you sound to be around my size. I ended up flying using Peter Abraham's personal vest, which has longer chest straps and I think waist straps. When I asked Peter if Tiffen might be willing to offer longer straps, from what I remember, he said they probably would. I did notice a "Big Boy Chest Straps" and "Big Boy Waist Straps" item added to the Tiffen accessories catalog a couple of months after that, which might be exactly the product - longer replacement straps. Maybe call Tiffen up and see if they're offering something of that nature?

#7 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'll save you the phone call !

Yes, we do offer longer strap sets for the Flyer Vest. You get a longer waist strap, and 2 chest strap extensions.

To address the OP, Andy my feeling is that due to your height, you'd be good in a standard Flyer vest. The Compact vest is reduced along the "Y" Chest spar, with a shorter telescoping bar to go with it. 5 ' 6 " may be taller than you can get away with on the Compact Vest. You'd want to avoid winding up with a vest that is a bit too short.

You're slender, it sounds. The straps can be tightened and adjusted to allow for a slender torso like yours.

And, Hi Tom !! Your memory serves you correctly. We had a customer who requested that we make him a longer set. Seemed a good idea- till then, my home-stitched longer straps were the only ones. We offer an easy-to-plug-in set now.

Best to all,

Peter Abraham
Dir. of Technical Services, Steadicam
The Tiffen Company

pabraham@tiffen.com

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

PLC - Bartech