#1 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

I watched: "Running Scared" over the weekend. Not to bad I expected way less staring Paul Walker... actually I enjoyed it quite a bit also it was a challenge to make The Czech Republic look like New Jersey. Oh well...

Anyhow there is a scene in the apartment of the pedophile couple where the camera does a 360 around a boy at his head hight and then just pulls up and turns into a birds view of the room revealing the construction plastic on the floor... crane sure... but where the hell is the base. Watched it again with commentary/ behind the scenes and sure enough it was a steadicam shot.

The production cut a hole into the ceiling... It starts with a 360 and then the operator is pulled through the ceiling by wires...

Alastair Rae was credit as the main Steadicam Operator but also Andrew Casey was billed as the op on the New York/New Jersey crew.

Enjoy,

Erwin

Attached Files

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

Sounds pretty damn cool. Although based on the title of your post Erwin, I was racking my brains to try and think of a Steadicam shot chasing Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines down the street (with Michael McDonald on the soundtrack)...

#3 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

Sounds pretty damn cool. Although based on the title of your post Erwin, I was racking my brains to try and think of a Steadicam shot chasing Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines down the street (with Michael McDonald on the soundtrack)...

Oh good, I wasn't the only one!

#4 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

I know, actually I thought I bought that one...

There are quite some movies called running scared, one in 1972, 1980, 1985, 1986 (that's the one you are referring to) and this one from 2006... there was even a TV show in the 1980ies...

Oh well, happy accident.

#5 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Said shot can be seen here...
http://www.steadisho....cfm?shotID=294

creepy scene, by the way.

One question I have - I watched the behind the scenes stuff. In a few of the clips, they show the crew shooting, and affixed to some of the cameras they have a power drill. It looks like it's secured to the film mag, and there's a guy that's randomly squeezing the trigger while shooting. What is this doing? My guess is it's adding some small, high frequency vibrations to the shot. No?

#6 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

Hey Afton,

That is a Handcrank camera, most of the time an Arri 2b or 2c. We used it extensively on fight scenes that we shot for Spike TV (4 movies so far), it gives you that certain out of wack look (speed change, over and underexpose, randomness). It goes back to the time in the early days when you handcranked all the movies. you can change the speed randomly and even double expose and crank backwards... It's hard work after a while. I guess that the hand drill makes for an easier day and you can get very nice slow motion out of it as you can run that puppy up to 1000 rpms... and faster... or slower.

We got ours from Otto Nemenz, Panavision and Clairmont all of them have them in there inventory...

Hope that explains.

Erwin

#7 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

Thanks, Erwin. Makes sense now. That was one of my initial thoughts, but I didn't think handcranking was still that common. And if it was done, I didn't think it would be done with a DeWalt.

Attached File  scared.jpg   105.99KB   172 downloads

#8 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

Thanks, Erwin. Makes sense now. That was one of my initial thoughts, but I didn't think handcranking was still that common. And if it was done, I didn't think it would be done with a DeWalt.

Attached File  scared.jpg   105.99KB   172 downloads

Actually guys that looks like a shaker rig

#9 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

That's what I was thinking at first..ubt I did see the new version and yeah....pretty cool.

#10 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

Actually guys that looks like a shaker rig

certainly possible, although the Dewalt looks to be positioned over the driveshaft (if that is indeed a modified 2C, which it looks like) which would lend a good amount of credence to the idea that the drill is driving the movement.

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

BOXX

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

IDX

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus