11 replies to this topic

#1 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hi all,
I was wondering around the great site steadishots and encountered James Muro opening shot in strange days
I've read about that shot here in the forum but stil I have one question... In the end the guy jump, he really jump from one building to the other after stopping a while to consider if he was able or not... in the end not (he fall down) but How Mr. Muro did this last part of the shot??? do they put a footbridge while he's watching back, is it green screen? I've checked for cuts but it looks like there aren't...
really appreciate if someone can solve this, thanks in advance, may be it's a stupind question but I couldn't solve it by myself ;)

matteo quagliano

#2 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

You can read the details on the Steadishots.org website...

"This is an amazing shot. It was executed using a completely custom built 35mm camera weighing only 8lbs. That was mounted atop a modified Steadicam which gave it a more human-like POV feel, rather than an objective camera feel. There are a few edits hidden amongst the fast pans since production was not able to find one location that had everything they needed. The edits are hidden very well and the overall effect is incredibly convincing.

These POV sequences are what Strange Days is based on. There are a number of them throughout the film. This setup was designed specifically for them."

I was watching it thinking, "This isn't Steadicam, it's handheld. No way you can whip the camera back and forth and up and down like that so sharply and cleanly, even for the great Jim Muro". But it does have a combination handheld/Steadicam feel - too jerky and tight for Steadi, but running moments that are smoother than straight up handheld.

Afton - can you supply any more info about the modified setup? It really is an amazing sequence.

Dan

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

My memory is that it was shot with the SL Cine prototype and the SK prototype...betcha Erwin has more (and pictures to boot).

#4 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hey Charles, what are you talking about never heard of that feature.... ever.

Erwin "No idea what you are talking about" Landau

Attached Files

#5 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Also check the archives:

http://www.steadicam...hl=strange days

There are a bunch of great and unique shots in that movie. Jimmy actually got a separate credit for his POV work. He is credited as an actor: Nervous POV. Check out the shot that starts in the car and goes from there...

Hope that helps,

Erwin

Attached Files

#6 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

Thanks Erwin,
you really make it clear... Is it from American Cinematographer? I was sure there was some edits here and there but they really did a great job, practically invisible. I had the same feeling as Dan, sure it's handheld then noooo he can 't run that way hand helding then WWOOOOOWWW he really jumps, then OOOHHHHHHHHH....

Thanks Sirs,
really appreciate,

matteo quagliano

#7 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

right as jericho gets killed by the cops when he and his friend are with those ladies, and your watching the POV form the lady who runs from the cops, when she runs and then gets ready to jump thru the fence, you can briefly see jimmy's shadow on the ground there.... its faint,, but you can make our the rig's shadow.

#8 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

there are some great shots showing Jim using this rig (or a similar one) on the Any Given Sunday behind the scenes. He's running full tilt in/among the football players.

I can almost hear Erwin pulling the dvd off the shelf...

rb

#9 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Any Given Day...

Attached Files

#10 Erwin Landau