5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Just saw, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Scull". Overall, a great movie, cool typical 'Indiana Jones' type story, shot brilliantly by Janusz Kaminski............ All and all pretty dam good.

But the operating, perticularly the car chase sequences, the opening and basically all the crane work was frickin top notch! I'm sure a bunch of operators had a hand in it from first unit and second unit, a, b, c, camera operators, et. The only sutff I didn't like (the same stuff I always dislike) is when they go to green screen. I'd prefer less exciting and more realistic to super exciting but obviously shot on a sound stage.

If any of the operators that worked on it would like to comment, I'd love to hear about the opening car sequence, the crane in the wherehouse, the general crane work, the motercycle chase and of course the steadicam work.

Great job guys,

mm.

#2 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Great work by:

1st Unit:
Mitch Dubin, SOC
George Billinger (Steadicam)

2nd Unit:
Simon Jayes, SOC (Steadicam)
Dan Gold, SOC
Douglas Olivares
John Scotchdopole

Simon Jayes being the only one frequenting this forum, but I guess he is still busy on the latest James Bond.

Later,

Erwin

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

We saw it the other night and had a good time. What really pi$$ed me though was that they only rolled credits for about 15 sec and then shut down the projector and turned on the lights so I never got to see the full cast or crew. I kept thinking and steaming that a few hundred people probably spent the better part of a year of their lives working for those credits. I thought a theatrical release required they rolled all the credits?

#4 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

as far as I know, yes. I've actually got a refund because they did not roll the full credits by complaining to the manager, et.

#5 Rick Drapkin

Rick Drapkin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

[Hey Mike,

I worked quite a few days myseelf on the 2nd unit as an operator. It was truely an amazing experience to work on a film of this magnitude. By the way, your old rid is still working perfectlyquote name='Mike McGowan SOC' date='May 29 2008, 10:09 PM' post='36177']
as far as I know, yes. I've actually got a refund because they did not roll the full credits by complaining to the manager, et.
[/quote]

#6 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Glad to hear it's still kicking ass! I ended up getting another rig. Right when I thought I would be doing mostly DP work I got a bunch of shows doing steadicam so instead of using sombody elses rig, I just got a new PRO.

Congrats on working on that movie, I'd kill to day play on something that big and cool!!!

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Teradek

Boland Communications

IDX