#1 Dave Gish

Dave Gish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • NYC Area

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy a Steadicam Pilot Monitor Hood? If not, is there a way I can make one? Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy a Steadicam Pilot Monitor Hood? If not, is there a way I can make one? Any suggestions appreciated.

You could try Hoodman If the dont have it, the will make it for you

#3 brooksrobinson

brooksrobinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 267 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Dave,

Why not make your own out of some coroplast. Get some from the grip department or buy a sheet from an expendable store. Use sticky-back velcro to secure it to your monitor. Easy, and it will cost nothing, or at least less than anything else in your kit.

Brooks Robinson

#4 Jay Ryde

Jay Ryde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LONDON, UK

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

I have a Pilot too and wanting a hood. However, I can see a potential problem using something like a Hoodman (I could be wrong, and rather I hope that I am as I want one!) but with those type of Hood, they are very straight forward pointing... meaning that when u r looking at your Monitor you might not be able to see the entire screen, because a Steadicam operator doesnt really look at the monitor head on.. You see my point? I want to get one to try out.

I was using my Pilot the other day and it wasnt even that Sunny, yet at times the monitor was very difficult to see (yes i was using the 5.8" Wide monitor!)

Edited by Jay Ryde, 22 May 2008 - 06:58 AM.

#5 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

Found this tip in the monitors section: http://www.steadicam...?showtopic=7463

#6 Jay Ryde

Jay Ryde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LONDON, UK

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

by the looks of it there is already some kind of anti-reflectant material in place on my 5.8" Wide monitor for my Pilot. The diffused light that bounces of it does cut down mirroring but also spreads the light and kind of defeats the object a little as it still difficult to see the image in daylight, not sure about other Pilots though. Maybe this is not a proper anti-reflective screen? I must admit I'd vote for the plastic film merely because it wont mean re-balancing my rig or at least having to take into account the extra weight.

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Teradek

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

SkyDreams