5 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Moore

Ed Moore

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 185 posts
  • Midlands, UK

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

I've just spent an hour wandering around in the rig to try and work out where a slight bob is coming from that's appeared in a couple of recent shots.

Narrowed it down to stepping from my right foot to my left. I operate in regular so my left foot is closest to being under the sled itself, so it feels like it's to do with the weight of the sled having more of an effect on that step, sending a jolt up my left leg and into the vest.

Is this a sensation others have encountered? I'd be very curious to know what solutions worked for you!

Cheers,

Ed

#2 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

I've just spent an hour wandering around in the rig to try and work out where a slight bob is coming from that's appeared in a couple of recent shots.

Narrowed it down to stepping from my right foot to my left. I operate in regular so my left foot is closest to being under the sled itself, so it feels like it's to do with the weight of the sled having more of an effect on that step, sending a jolt up my left leg and into the vest.

Is this a sensation others have encountered? I'd be very curious to know what solutions worked for you!

Cheers,

Ed

Not sure exactly what you are doing but you might want to loosen your right hand hold on the gimbal and try to let the arm "float' a bit more. Concentrate on removing your body's influence on the sled position by letting your steadicam arm do it's job.

#3 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

do you use a FM vest or BM vest?

is your vest, if its FM, sitting too far below your belt line and when you lift up your left leg, that in turns pushes up on the vest ever so slightly?

i use a FM vest and other than running shots i try and walk like a duck.. very small steps and as brother Lawrence says, loosen up on the Gimbal. get the sled where you want it and tune the arm to keep it there.. then just use your fingers to guide.......... use the force.

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:07 AM

do you use a FM vest or BM vest?

is your vest, if its FM, sitting too far below your belt line and when you lift up your left leg, that in turns pushes up on the vest ever so slightly?

i use a FM vest and other than running shots i try and walk like a duck.. very small steps and as brother Lawrence says, loosen up on the Gimbal. get the sled where you want it and tune the arm to keep it there.. then just use your fingers to guide.......... use the force.

more problems are created when people walk in a way that they don't normally walk. Just walk normal.

#5 Ed Moore

Ed Moore

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 185 posts
  • Midlands, UK

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

Thank you Lawrence, Mark and Eric,

I'm endeavoring to walk normally, and it's easier to do that when walking faster as it tends to smooth everything out, but when I slow down it's been impossible to remove that weight transfer.

Mark - I'll try shortening the vest to see if that helps. The bottom of the vest feels like it's in the same correct position I was taught originally but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for the tip! (It's a FM vest)

Ed

#6 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

excuse my ignorance... but where is the correct position for the vest to stay? using your hip as point of measure...
thanks in advance for explanation

matteo

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems