11 replies to this topic

#1 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

Hi all,

still me, this time with shots from jobs done and payed, not the usual boring excercises. I understand no one likes them, even among the newbies section, so I quit uploading that kind of crap.

One is the Ferrari museum, then two music videos and it finish with shots done from the back of a van with back door open (as EFP DVD mentions).

I know there's no comparison with real op reels... :D
Any comments are welcome. Here's the link:

http://s250.photobuc...Sequence1-1.flv

regards and peace,

ciao

matteo

#2 Peter Hoare

Peter Hoare

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 360 posts
  • London

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

Very nice, I like the vehicle shots. Ive wanted to try that for a while, not got round to it yet.

Ive yet to get any of my first few jobs footage back yet, still in post...

Thanks,

Pete.

#3 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:20 AM

Hi Pete,

thanks man,
for vehicle shots make sure you have someone near you, because you never know what can happen and also use a rope, not tight but that can stop you from falling ahead on fast acceleration.
For your footage just be patient, I have to wait for four months for my first stuff to come, but I'm very curious to see your shots.
have fun,

ciao
matteo

#4 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Sorry girls and guys,

a good friend remember me that I'm not the owner of the material on the clip, I can understand most of you couldn't stay without seeing my shots online but to stay safe I took it off.

When I'll have the permission I'll put it again, don't worry :lol:

matteo

#5 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

You´re on the way.... Nice....
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

;)

#6 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:07 AM

Hi Amando,

thanks for your words... now I have the permission so here it is my first little showreel. I added a new short film I did two weeks ago, 4 girls chatting around a table and soon I'll have another short film wih a more complex shoot and I can't wait to do it and show it here... he he he ;)

comments from all of you are incredibly valuable for me,

regards

matteo "trying to hit the right way" quagliano

link:
http://s250.photobuc...t=Sequence1.flv

#7 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

and by the way Amando....
How was Ischia??? did you all guys have a lot of fun...? I'm sure yes and I'm still crying for missing that incredible occasion... with such great teachers... WOW

#8 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hi Matteo:

As you keep gathering footage you will be able to trim down the bits from each job. Right now I feel like you have 20 shots from each job that are cancelling each other out--there isn't time to distinguish good from bad as the subject and type of moves are so similar; the car museum in particular. Even without other material I would still prefer to see a reel half this length or less with the BEST shots on it, preferably some a little longer and including some holds. This is all very run-and-gun looking material, some narrative will be good (and probably good for your operating) with more humans in the frame, so that one can evaluate headroom and lookroom and all of that.

Music is always a personal choice and the viewer can always turn it off; after 30 seconds I did just that not to focus on the Steadicam shots but because it was too much to listen to first thing in the morning for me. One's choices of music on a reel does say something about the operator and it may be that you want to project a rock-and-roll image but it could also be a turn-off for a future client--might want to think about toning it down for future reels.

#9 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi Charles,

first of all thank you very much for your words, is very important for me to have suggestions from experienced operator, it really means a lot for me to see that what I'm doing is leading me somewhere, so again thank you for your attention and patience.
Regarding the reel... I see it is too long, as you guess right I don't have that plenty of material to choose but still I like to put the little thing I've been working on all together one after the other... It makes me feel good... But I see you are right, there's too much similar stuff on it, I will cut them. The problem is that I didn't do any fiction yet but only commercial and music videos and already edited stuff (as for starts and stops to have is very difficult...) but soon I'm on a short film with panasonic 200 and an interesting shot to do (can't wait to show it here).
I know I need a workshop as soon as I can and I can't wait to have the chance to do it, also I can't wait to save money and gather jobs to start thinking on changing my rig and getting a more professional piece... but for now I'm bound to that stuff.
Music is a little aggressive, I'm gonna change it together with strong cuts here and there but before that I want to collect the shot from that new fiction project I'm on. And I will choose something more appropriate and less aggressive as soundtrack.

It's been six months since my first shot with steadicam and I love the aesthetics involved in filming with this tool.

Again thank you, I hope to get where I'm trying to and this forum and all the beautiful people I had the opportunity to know confirm my will days after days.

My best regards,

Matteo

#10 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:23 AM

Hi everybody,

I did some changes... longer takes and different music, in photobuket I wasn't allowed to use bob dylan neither rage against the machine so I use a free music.
I appraciate any comments from all of you. Everything I read and I was told on this forum made my steadicam born.
It's not a showreel yet, I see it is to much poor, but as I keep working and adding stuff may be some day it will become, let's hope all togheter :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://it.youtube.co...h?v=Xoo-vgqbWXo

best regards,

matteo

#11 Gus Trivino

Gus Trivino

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

Ciao Matteo

I´m filming in Buenos Aires "Donne Assassine", a TV Serie for Fox Italia.
Mauro Marchetti is the DoP. He worked as camera asistant in "Apocalipsys Now" and worked with Storaro during 15 years. Amazing...Very good experience.
I hope to go to Italy with the crew in order to finish the TV Serie in Torino.
best to all,

Gus

#12 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

Ciao Gus,

if you happen to be in Italy please let me know. I would like see the work on a set if possible, I'm not that far from Torino,

best regards,

matteo

SkyDreams

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

Teradek

PLC - Bartech